About the Community Health Fair
Date: Saturday, April 11, 2015 from 12 noon to 4pm
Location: 102nd street between Madison and 5th Avenues
The Community Health Fair aims to create an opportunity for East and Central Harlem community members to take an active role in maintaining and improving their health by providing free access to health screenings and bilingual health information and resources. The event's slogan, "Our Health Our Future: Nuestra Salud Nuestro Futuro," emphasizes this message.
East and Central Harlem are communities that have historically experienced a disproportionate health burden of chronic disease and illness. As such, the Community Health Fair offers screenings for more than 20 different health conditions, including diabetes, vision and hearing, blood pressure, behavioral health, and obesity. Attendees will be able to watch physical activity demonstrations as well as meet with doctors and other health professionals from local community based organizations. In addition, over 40 health education and counseling resource tables will be available to provide information in both English and Spanish.
The annual event will include live entertainment, local performance artists, children's activities, and a prize raffle. Over 300 community residents attended last year's Community Health Fair, including adults and children, as well as over 150 hospital and student volunteers.
Goals for the Community Health Fair include:
- Foster increased interactions between Mount Sinai and the East Harlem community
- Offer basic health screening services needed in the community
- Educate participants about strategies for healthy living by distributing medical information and holding interactive seminars
- Provide a referral network for participants
- Increase resources and screenings (e.g. BMI) for children and adolescents
- Promote a school-based nutrition initiative
We'd like to thank all the partners who helped make the Community Health Fair an amazing event. We have been particularly grateful to receive support from:
- ISMMS Center for Multicultural and Community Affairs
- ISMMS Alumni Association
- ISMMS Student Council
- The Mount Sinai Auxiliary Board
Icahn School of Medicine at
Annual Community Health Fair
One Gustave L. Levy Place, Box 1035
New York, NY 10029-6574