Conflicts of Interest
Interactions with Vendors and Other Commercial Entities
Programs must have true educational value and can never be designed to influence purchasing decisions. The Standards for Commercial Support of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) are applicable to all educational events, whether or not they fall under the auspices of the Post-Graduate School; guidelines include:
- Curriculum content, faculty selection and program quality will be the sole responsibility of Mount Sinai department management and/or faculty involved in the event.
- Speaker selection and educational content will be at the discretion of the department.
- Guest speakers must sign a standard Disclosure Statement indicating compliance with institutional conflict of interest policies.
- All presentations must be free of commercial bias for or against any vendor's products or services. Generic rather than trade names of drugs must be used at conferences.
- Vendor representatives may not address the audience unless specifically invited by the Mount Sinai event organizers.
- Promotional materials from commercial sponsors may not be displayed in the room before, during or after the activity.
- Vendors may apply for exhibit space outside the room(s) in which the educational event is held. The granting of such requests is at the discretion of the conference organizers and fees may be levied. In the event that exhibit space is approved, exhibitors will be subject to gift restrictions as described in Section I of this policy, as well as to the PhRMA Code.
- Refreshments, study materials, etc. should be appropriate to the event.