History of Cardiology at The Mount Sinai Health System

The Cardiology program at The Mount Sinai Health System is one of the oldest and most distinguished in the country. Since its inception, our program has been a leader in the field of cardiovascular medicine through world-class research and innovative clinical practice.

  • From 1934 to 1957, Dr. Arthur Master was the Chief of the Electrocardiography Laboratory. Under his leadership, this laboratory was transformed into the Division of Cardiology. Along with Dr. Simon Dack, Dr. Master developed the first exercise stress test known as the "Master Two-Step." Dr. Dack later founded and served as the first Editor-in-Chief of the American Journal of Cardiology and of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.

  • In 1957, Dr. Charles Friedberg succeeded Dr. Master as the Chief of Cardiology. Dr. Friedberg was a pioneer in the use of direct current (DC) cardioversion for the treatment of cardiac arrhythmias and the author of the widely read textbook Diseases of the Heart. His tenure as Chief of Cardiology was shortened by a tragic automobile accident in 1968.

  • In 1968, Dr. Arnold Katz succeeded Dr. Friedberg. Dr. Katz introduced a more scientific approach to cardiology and was one of the first cardiovascular investigators to study hemodynamics.

  • In 1974, Dr. Richard Gorlin, an internationally renowned cardiologist, became Chair of the Samuel Bronfman Department of Medicine and appointed Dr. Michael Herman as Chief of the Cardiology Division.

  • In 1983, Dr. Valentin Fuster was recruited from the Mayo Clinic to serve as the Chief of Cardiology and the Dr. Arthur M. and Hilda A. Master Professor of Medicine. Dr. Fuster brought with him a well-developed research program in thrombosis. He established the first experimental laboratories in cardiovascular research at Mount Sinai and reorganized the clinical practices of the division.

  • In 1990, the Molecular and Cellular Cardiology Laboratories were established. Initially under the direction of Drs. Andrew R. Marks and Mark Taubman, these laboratories were dedicated to investigating cardiovascular diseases using the techniques of molecular and cellular biology. Dr. Bruce Gelb, Professor of Pediatrics and Human Genetics, headed the training program in Molecular and Cellular Cardiology and was recently joined by Dr. Roger Hajjar, Professor of Medicine (Cardiology).

  • In 1994, Dr. Fuster returned from the Massachusetts General Hospital, where he served for three years as Chief of the Cardiac Unit. He became the Director of the then-newly created Cardiovascular Institute of The Mount Sinai Health System. Dr. Fuster brings to Mount Sinai an outstanding record of clinical and research expertise in cardiovascular medicine. He is an active participant in discussions of patient management at morning conferences and leads weekly physical examination sessions with the fellows. Dr. Fuster's experimental laboratory addresses important questions in thrombosis and atherosclerosis, providing a link between the molecular and cellular cardiology laboratories and the patient-oriented clinical investigations.

In May 2006, Mount Sinai announced the creation of Mount Sinai Heart, a new approach to cardiac care that combines all of the Health System's world-class resources—including internationally renowned physicians, scientists, and educators; clinical services; leading-edge research; and an outstanding cardiology training program—in one integrated entity.

Dr. Fuster, in addition to his Mount Sinai responsibilities as Director of the Zena and Michael A. Wiener Cardiovascular Institute and the Marie-Josée and Henry R. Kravis Center for Cardiovascular Health, is also the Richard Gorlin, MD/Heart Research Foundation Professor, Past President of the World Heart Federation, Past President of the American Heart Association, and the President for Science of the National Centre for Cardiovascular Research (CNIC) in Madrid, the Spanish equivalent of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI).


Contact Us

Kate Eisenberg
Fellowship Coordinator
Tel: 212-241-3871
Fax: 212-426-6376
Send e-mail