“FlexMed is all about flexibility in your education and the opportunity to pursue what you love to learn. It allows talented students with lots of initiative to ‘flex’ their intellectual, creative, humanistic and scientific muscles during college, unencumbered by traditional pre-med requirements and the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT).”
David Muller, MD
Professor and Chair, Dean for Medical Education
About the FlexMed Program
In response to major changes in the priorities of biomedical science and health care, the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai has expanded its renowned Humanities in Medicine (HuMed) program to become the first medical school in the United States to offer early acceptance to college sophomores from any major, with no MCAT requirement, and a progressive approach to medical school preparation for half of each entering class. FlexMed is a groundbreaking new path to medical training at Icahn School of Medicine. It will allow a new cohort of students to join our tradition of cultivating future physicians who are self-directed in their learning, thrive on a culture of academic rigor and mentorship, and have a strong appreciation of human rights and social justice.
Named to honor the legacy of Abraham Flexner, a pioneer educator who revolutionized medical education early in the 20th century, FlexMed is transforming medical education by cultivating physicians who are grounded in 21st century science and the social context in which they will practice medicine.
Prior to January 15:
Students will have to complete two semesters of college biology OR two semesters of college chemistry.
- The two-semester requirement can cover any discipline of biology or chemistry, including Biochemistry, Genetics, Molecular Biology, Pharmacology, Cell Biology, Physiology, Microbiology, Immunobiology, etc.
- AP or IB credit cannot substitute this requirement. If you have received college credit from AP or IB course work, higher level science courses must be taken to fulfill this requirement
- Course work must be completed by the January 15 application deadline.
Prior to Matriculation:
Prior to matriculation, students will be required to complete the following courses:
- Two semesters of Biology (not AP or IB, but college course work)
- Two semesters of Chemistry (not AP or IB, but college course work)
- Two semesters of English
- One semester of Physics (AP or IB Physics in high school with a score of 4 or higher)
- Two semesters of lab in any science
- One semester of Health Policy, Public Health, or Global Health
- One semester of Ethics
- One semester of Statistics
- A Senior Thesis or its equivalent in an area of academic concentration
- An in-depth experience in which the student gains exposure to human illness
Students will be strongly encouraged to gain proficiency in either Spanish or Mandarin.
In the six weeks prior to matriculation, FlexMed students who have not had advanced science courses will be required to participate in a Summer Enrichment Program that will provide them basic competency in Cell Biology, Biochemistry, and Genetics.
Admitted students will be required to achieve a ‘B’ in all required courses, will be expected to maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.5, and will not be permitted to take the MCAT.
Icahn School of Medicine
One Gustave L. Levy Place, Box 1002
New York, NY 10029-6574