Charissa Chang, MD
- ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR | Medicine, Liver Diseases
Specialties:Liver Medicine, Liver Transplantation
- Endoscopic Band Ligation
- Esophageal Varices
- HIV Coinfection In Viral Hepatitis
- Hepatitis B
MD, University of Maryland
Residency, Internal Medicine, Boston University Medical Center
Fellowship, Gastroenterology, University of Virginia Health System
Fellowship, Hepatology, Mount Sinai Hospital
Advanced Hepatology Fellowship Grant
Research and Excellence Provost's Award for Undergraduate
Tau Beta Pi
Westinghouse Science Talent Search Semifinalist
- Portal Hypertension
- Treatment of Viral Hepatits
- Fatty Liver, NASH
- A Phase 2, Multicenter, Open-Label Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Sofosbuvir/Velpatasvir Fixed-Dose Combination and Ribavirin for 12 Weeks in Subjects with Chronic HCV Infection and Child-Pugh-Turcotte Class C Cirrhosis
The purpose of this study is to see if the drug combination of Sofosbuvir/Velpatasvir and Ribavirin (SOF/VEL+RBV) given for 12 weeks is effective in treating people infected with the hepatitis C virus who have advanced liver disease with permanent liver damage (cirrhosis) and ...
- A Phase 3, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study Evaluating the Safety and Efficacy of Selonsertib in Subjects with Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH) and Bridging (F3) Fibrosis
The purpose of this study is to evaluate whether selonsertib (SEL, previously known as GS-4997) can cause fibrosis regression and reduce progression to cirrhosis and associated complications in subjects with NASH and bridging (F3) fibrosis and to assess the safety and tolerabi...
- Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Phase 3 Study of Ramucirumab and Best Supportive Care (BSC) Versus Placebo and BSC as Second-Line Treatment in Patients With Hepatocellular Carcinoma and Elevated Baseline Alpha-Fetoprotein (AFP) Following First-Line Therapy With Sorafenib
The purpose of this study is to find out whether ramucirumab can help patients with liver cancer. Ramucirumab is an experimental drug because it is still being tested and not yet approved to treat liver cancer. However, the FDA has allowed the use of this drug for ...
- A Phase IIb, double blind randomized, controlled clinical trial, to evaluate the efficacy and safety of two Aramchol doses versus placebo in patients with Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH)
The purpose of this study is to test a new investigational drug called Aramchol. The study will be a multinational, multicenter trial to compare the efficacy, tolerability and safety of Aramchol tablets 400 mg and 600 mg to placebo tablets, in 240 NASH subjects who also suffer...
- A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Phase III Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Elafibranor in Patients with Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH) and Fibrosis
The purpose of this study is to determine the efficacy of Elafibranor compared to placebo in the treatment of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). A placebo looks the same as the study treatment (same shape, same look), except that it contains no active subs...
- A Phase 3, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study Evaluating the Safety and Efficacy of Selonsertib in Subjects with Compensated Cirrhosis due to Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH)
The purpose of this study is to evaluate whether selonsertib (SEL, previously known as GS-4997) can cause fibrosis regression and reduce associated complications in subjects with cirrhosis due to NASH and to assess the safety and tolerability of SEL in subjects with Nonalcohol...
Chang CY, Hernandez-Prera JC, Roayaie S, Schwartz M, Thung SN. Changing epidemiology of hepatocellular adenoma in the United States: review of the literature. International journal of hepatology 2013; 2013.
Martin P, Chang C. Update on the United States Hepatitis B Treatment Algorithm. Current Hepatitis Reports 2007;.
Chang C, Singal A, Emre S, Schiano T, Lookstein R, Ganeshan S. Successful Use of Splenic Artery Embolization to Relieve Tense Ascites Following Liver Transplantation in a Patient with Budd Chiari Syndrome, Paroxysmal Nocturnal Hemoglobinuria, and Portal Vein Thrombosis: A Case Report. Liver Transplantation 2007; 13(11): 1532-1537.
Tuyama AC, Chang CY. Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Journal of diabetes 2012 Sep; 4(3).
Chang CY, Martin P, Fotiadu A, Hytiroglou P. A patient with chronic hepatitis B and regression of fibrosis during treatment. Seminars in liver disease 2010 Aug; 30(3).
Schiano T, Chang C. Drug Hepatototoxicity Update. Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics 2007; 25(10): 1135-1151.
Ward SC, Chang CY, Peng L, Liu LU. Patient with hepatitis B and alcoholic liver disease before and after liver transplantation. Seminars in liver disease 2009 May; 29(2).
Caldwell S, Macik G, Chang C. Recombinant Activated Factor VII (rFVIIa) as a Hemostatic Agent in Liver Disease: A Break from Convention in Need of Controlled Trials. Hepatology 2004; 39(3): 592-598.
Tan HH, Chang CY, Martin P. Acetaminophen hepatotoxicity: current management. The Mount Sinai journal of medicine, New York 2009 Feb; 76(1).
Caldwell S, Krugner-Higby L, Nakamoto R, Chang C. The Mitochondria in Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. Clinics in Liver Disease 2004; 8(3): 595-617.
Chang C, Argo C, Caldwell S, Al-Osaimi A. Antioxidant Therapy in Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. J Clin Gastroenterol 2005; 39(suppl 4).
Caldwell S, Chang C, Nakamoto R, Krugner-Higby L. Enlarged hepatocytes in NAFLD examined with osmium fixation: does microsteatosis underlie cellular ballooning in NASH?. Clinics in Liver Disease 2004; 8(3): 595-617.