- SENIOR FACULTY Medicine, Hematology and Medical Oncology
- SENIOR FACULTY Pediatrics, Hematology/Oncology
- SENIOR FACULTY Oncological Sciences
Pediatric Hematology & Oncology
- Acute Lymphoid Leukemia
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- Bone Marrow Transplantation
- Bone Marrow Transplantation, Allogeneic
- Bone Marrow Transplantation, Autologous
- Bone Marrow Transplantation, Pediatric
- Hematologic Malignancies
- Hematologic Malignancies, Pediatric
- Leukemias, Pediatric
- Myelodysplastic Syndromes
- Myeloproliferative Disorders
- Pretransplant Evaluation
MD, Georgetown University
Childrens Hospital of Boston
Childrens Hospital of Boston
Fellowship, Ped. Hemo/Onco
Dana Farber Cancer Institute
- Dr. James Ferrara is a physician-scientist whose clinical and research career has focused on the immunology of bone marrow transplantation (BMT), particularly its major complication graft-versus-host-disease (GVHD). Using trailblazing proteomic techniques, his team has identified and validated unexpected biomarkers for skin, gut and steroid-resistant GVHD. He has created exceptionally large and informative biorepositories and then mined them to meld these biomarkers into the first algorithm that predicts response to treatment and that can guide GVHD therapy. Dr. Ferrara’s pioneering mechanistic studies have illuminated unexpected interactions between the innate and adaptive immune systems and have led to both conceptual breakthroughs and the discovery of novel therapeutic targets. A superb clinician and world-class clinical investigator, his decades-long focus on GVHD has significant potential impact in making BMT safer and more effective for all patients.
Dr. Ferrara graduated Cum laude from Georgetown Medical School and then completed his pediatric residency and fellowship at Boston’s Children’s and the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. After 19 years at he went to the University of Michigan to direct the combined adult and pediatric BMT program. The Icahn School of Medicine at Mout Sinai recruited Dr. Ferrara in 2014 to become the Ward-Coleman professor of Cancer medicine and to direct the Center for Translational Resarch in Hematologic Malignancies.
Physicians and scientists on the faculty of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai often interact with pharmaceutical, device and biotechnology companies to improve patient care, develop new therapies and achieve scientific breakthroughs. In order to promote an ethical and transparent environment for conducting research, providing clinical care and teaching, Mount Sinai requires that salaried faculty inform the School of their relationships with such companies.
Below are financial relationships with industry reported by Dr. Ferrara during 2014 and/or 2015. Please note that this information may differ from information posted on corporate sites due to timing or classification differences.
- Boehringer Ingelheim Corporation; Enlivex Therapeutics Ltd; ViraCor-IBT
Scientific Advisory Board:
- Amgen Inc.; Enlivex Therapeutics Ltd; Lycera
Mount Sinai's faculty policies relating to faculty collaboration with industry are posted on our website. Patients may wish to ask their physician about the activities they perform for companies.
Mount Sinai Health System (MSHS) physicians - including those employed by MSHS - do not always participate in the same health plans in which MSHS hospitals or facilities participate.
Information regarding insurance participation and billing by this physician may be found on this page or obtained by contacting this provider directly.
Insurance plans that the Mount Sinai Health System hospitals or facilities participate in can be found on the Mount Sinai Health System website.
Hess CSM Building Floor 6th Floor
1470 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10029