- ASSISTANT CLINICAL PROFESSOR Dentistry, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Am Board of Orthondontics
University of Rochester Medical Center
Lancaster General Hospital
Montefiore Medical Center
Children's Hospital at Montefiore
- Mairaj Ahmed is the Director of the Nasoalveolar Molding (NAM) Clinic, and works closely with the Mount Sinai Cleft/Craniofacial Center as Section Chief of Orthodontics, Dentofacial Orthopedics and Cleft/Craniofacial Orthodontics. Along with providing clinical care, he participates in teaching and mentorship activities and conducts clinical translational research with colleagues in the Departments of Dentistry, Surgery and Genetics.
Dr. Ahmed's post-graduate subspecialty training includes a General Practice Residency at the Lancaster Cleft Palate Clinic, Craniomaxillofacial Fellowship at the Children's Hospital at Montefiore, Orthodontics/Dentofacial Orthopedics at Montefiore Medical Center, and a National Institute of Health sponsored MS in Clinical Research Methods at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
Dr. Ahmed's primary appointment is with the Department of Dentistry/Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, and secondary appointment with the Division of Plastic Surgery
- Clinical Case Presentation and Treatment Planning – Hemi-Mandibular Hyperplasia. Montefiore Orthognathic Conference. Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx NY
- Crouzon’s Syndrome Case Presentation. Center for Craniofacial Disorders, Children’s Hospital at Montefiore, Bronx NY
- American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association 64th Annual Meeting. Comparison of Treatment Outcomes for Patients with Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate from the Same Center: An Internal Audit of Primary Protocol Results. Broomfield, CO
- American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association 64th Annual Meeting. The AmeriCleft Project - A 6-Center Pilot Project Using the EuroCleft Protocol for Intercenter Collaborative Outcome Studies. Broomfield, CO
- University of Rochester Medical Center. Presurgical Orthopedics: A Historical Perspective. Rochester, NY
ResearchAlveolar cleft reconstruction
Midfacial growth in cleft palate
Presurgical orthopedics Recent Publications: Ahmed MK, Maganzini AL, Marantz PR, Rousso JJ. Risk of persistent palatal fistula in patients with cleft palate. JAMA Facial Plast Surg. 2015. Mar1;17(2):126-30 Shi L, Luo C, Ahmed MK, Attaie AB, Ye X. Novel mutations in EVC cause aberrant splicing in Ellis-van Creveld syndrome. Mol Genet Genomics. 2016 Apr;291(2):863-72 Rao A, Ahmed MK, Taub PJ, Mamoun JS. The Correlation between Maternal Exposure to Air Pollution and the Risk of Orofacial Clefts in Infants: a Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Oral Maxillofac Res 2016;7(1):e2 Book Chapter: Oral Anatomy. Ferraro's Fundamentals of Maxillofacial Surgery. 2015, pp 49-63. Mar 2014 Editors: Taub, P.J., Patel, P.K., Buchman, S.R., Cohen, M. (Eds.) Springer-Verlag New York
Rao A, Ahmed MK, Taub PJ, Mamoun JS. The Correlation between Maternal Exposure to Air Pollution and the Risk of Orofacial Clefts in Infants: a Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Oral Maxillofac Res 2016;7(1):e2 2016 Jan-Mar; 7(1).
Ahmed MK, Maganzini AL, Marantz PR, Rousso JJ. Risk of persistent palatal fistula in patients with cleft palate. JAMA facial plastic surgery; 17(2).
Shi L, Luo C, Ahmed MK, Attaie AB, Ye X. Novel mutations in EVC cause aberrant splicing in Ellis-van Creveld syndrome. Molecular genetics and genomics : MGG 2016 Apr; 291(2).
Maganzini AL, Wong AM, Ahmed MK. Forces of various nickel titanium closed coil springs. Angle Orthod 2010 Jan; 80(1).
Physicians and scientists on the faculty of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai often interact with pharmaceutical, device and biotechnology companies to improve patient care, develop new therapies and achieve scientific breakthroughs. In order to promote an ethical and transparent environment for conducting research, providing clinical care and teaching, Mount Sinai requires that salaried faculty inform the School of their relationships with such companies.
Dr. Ahmed did not report having any of the following types of financial relationships with industry during 2015 and/or 2016: consulting, scientific advisory board, industry-sponsored lectures, service on Board of Directors, participation on industry-sponsored committees, equity ownership valued at greater than 5% of a publicly traded company or any value in a privately held company. Please note that this information may differ from information posted on corporate sites due to timing or classification differences.
Mount Sinai's faculty policies relating to faculty collaboration with industry are posted on our website. Patients may wish to ask their physician about the activities they perform for companies.
Physicians who provide services at hospitals and facilities in the Mount Sinai Health System might not participate in the same health plans as those Mount Sinai hospitals and facilities (even if the physicians are employed or contracted by those hospitals or facilities).
Information regarding insurance participation and billing by this physician may be found on this page, and can also be obtained by contacting this provider directly. Because physicians insurance participation can change, the insurance information on this page may not always be up-to-date. Please contact this physician directly to obtain the most up-to-date insurance information.
Insurance and health plan networks that the various Mount Sinai Health System hospitals and facilities participate in can be found on the Mount Sinai Health System website.
1468 Madison Avenue
Annenberg Building, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10029
- Tuesday 9:00am - 12:00pm
1100 Pelham Parkway South
Bronx, NY 10461
- Monday 10:00am - 6:00pm
- Tuesday 2:00pm - 7:00pm
- Wednesday 10:00am - 7:00pm
- Friday 10:00am - 6:00pm