- ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR Surgery
American Board of Surgery
MD, Christian Medical College
Residency, General Surgery
Our Lady of Mercy Medical Center
Fellowship, Laparoscopic Surgery
New York Medical College
- Dr. Kini is an Associate Professor of Surgery at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine and serves as a minimally invasive bariatric surgeon in the Mount Sinai Program for Surgical Weight Loss. After training in the United Kingdom, he was granted membership in all three of the Royal Colleges of Surgeons. After completing a laparoscopic research fellowship in Mount Sinai Medical Center and a laparoscopic clinical fellowship in New York Medical College, Dr. Kini joined the faculty of the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in the Division of Laparoscopic Surgery at Mount Sinai in 2004. Dr. Kini is certified by the American Board of Surgery. He is an active member of the American Society for Bariatric Surgery and the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES) where he serves on several committees. Dr. Kini has been performing advanced laparoscopic surgery since 1995. His practice is focused primarily on advanced laparoscopic bariatric surgery, anti reflux surgery and advanced laparosocpic surgery. Dr. Kini is currently performing research in several areas of minimally invasive bariatric procedures and antireflux surgery.
ResearchWeight Loss Surgery
Rao RS, Yanagisawa R, Kini S. Insulin resistance and bariatric surgery. Obesity reviews : an official journal of the International Association for the Study of Obesity 2012 Apr; 13(4).
Kini S, Kannan U. Effect of bariatric surgery on future general surgical procedures. Journal of minimal access surgery 2011 Apr; 7(2).
Arroyo K, Kini SU, Harvey JE, Herron DM. Surgical therapy for diabesity. The Mount Sinai journal of medicine, New York; 77(5).
Ryskina KL, Miller KM, Aisenberg J, Herron DM, Kini SU. Routine management of stricture after gastric bypass and predictors of subsequent weight loss. Surgical endoscopy 2010 Mar; 24(3).
Kini S, Herron DM, Yanagisawa RT. Bariatric surgery for morbid obesity--a cure for metabolic syndrome?. The Medical clinics of North America 2007 Nov; 91(6).
Aggarwal S, Kini SU, Herron DM. Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy for morbid obesity: a review. Surgery for obesity and related diseases : official journal of the American Society for Bariatric Surgery; 3(2).
Bloomberg RD, Fleishman A, Nalle JE, Herron DM, Kini S. Nutritional deficiencies following bariatric surgery: what have we learned?. Obesity surgery 2005 Feb; 15(2).
Physicians and scientists on the faculty of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai often interact with pharmaceutical, device and biotechnology companies to improve patient care, develop new therapies and achieve scientific breakthroughs. In order to promote an ethical and transparent environment for conducting research, providing clinical care and teaching, Mount Sinai requires that salaried faculty inform the School of their relationships with such companies.
Dr. Kini did not report having any of the following types of financial relationships with industry during 2014 and/or 2015: consulting, scientific advisory board, industry-sponsored lectures, service on Board of Directors, participation on industry-sponsored committees, equity ownership valued at greater than 5% of a publicly traded company or any value in a privately held company. Please note that this information may differ from information posted on corporate sites due to timing or classification differences.
Mount Sinai's faculty policies relating to faculty collaboration with industry are posted on our website. Patients may wish to ask their physician about the activities they perform for companies.
Mount Sinai Health System (MSHS) physicians - including those employed by MSHS - do not always participate in the same health plans in which MSHS hospitals or facilities participate.
Information regarding insurance participation and billing by this physician may be found on this page or obtained by contacting this provider directly.
Insurance plans that the Mount Sinai Health System hospitals or facilities participate in can be found on the Mount Sinai Health System website.
Faculty Practice Associates Floor 15th Room 1555
5 East 98th Street
New York, NY 10029
17 East 102nd Street
New York, NY 10029
- Wednesday 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Tamil (India)
- Indian (Hindi)
- Indian (Konkani)
- 1199 National Benefit Fund
- Aetna HMO
- Blue Cross/ Blue Shield
- Blue Cross/ Blue Shield - HMO
- CIGNA Healthcare HMO
- Empire BCBS Federal Plan
- Empire BCBS HMO/EPO
- Empire BCBS Medicare HMO
- Empire BCBS PPO/POS/Traditional
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- Fidelis Care NY
- GHI CBP PPO
- GHI HMO Select, Inc.
- Group Health Insurance, Inc.
- HIP Commercial
- Health Insurance Plan (HIP)
- Health Net POS
- Health Net PPO
- HealthFirst HMO Medicaid
- HealthFirst HMO Medicare
- HealthFirst/Medicaid HMO
- Healthnet-Empire BCBS
- Local 1199
- Medicaid of New York
- Medicare of NY
- Neighborhood Health Providers, LLC
- Oxford Health Plans
- Private Healthcare Systems (PHCS)
- United Health Care - Mount Sinai Top Tier
- United Health Care Commercial
- United Health Care Empire Plan
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare Medicare
- VNS Medicare
- Master Card
- American Express
- Personal Check