The Epilepsy Center at The Mount Sinai Hospital is recognized by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers as a provider (Level 4) of the most comprehensive medical and surgical care for people with seizures or epilepsy.
Our multidisciplinary team includes neurologists, neurosurgeons, neuropsychologists, psychiatrists, nurses, social workers, and electroneurodiagnostic technologists, all with subspecialty training in epilepsy. Our dedicated multidisciplinary team approach for you and your family provides an individualized treatment plan to improve your quality of life combined with the goal of curing seizures.
Treatments Available At The Mount Sinai Health System
These programs include:
- Initial consultation
- Diagnostic evaluation, including 3 Tesla (3T) MRI, electroencephalography (EEG), video-EEG monitoring, neuropsychological evaluation, Wada testing and advanced imaging (single-photon emission computed tomography -SPECT, positron emission tomography [PET], and functional magnetic resonance imaging [fMRI]
- Medication selection and management, including the treatment of women with epilepsy who are planning a pregnancy
- Dietary and lifestyle management
- Surgical treatments, including the latest in neurostimulation
- Diagnostic and treatment programs for children
Our multidisciplinary team is working on a number of projects including:
- Advances in neurostimulation
- The role of exercise in the care of patients with seizures
- Measuring happiness in patients with chronic epilepsy
- Understanding social stigmas associated with epilepsy
- Exploring neural networks during direct recording of intracranial electroencephalography
We participate in a number of multicenter and multinational clinical trials of potential new anti-seizure medications for the treatment of seizures and epilepsy. We also participate in trials examining the genetic basis of epilepsy and providing access to new treatments not available at other centers, including transcranial electrical stimulation of the brain.