Eating Disorders and Other Neuroendocrine Syndromes
The Mount Sinai Eating and Weight Disorders Program specializes in the assessment and delivery of empirically supported treatments for both men and women across the age and weight spectrum, including anorexia nervosa, bulimia, binge eating disorder, and obesity. Treatment is delivered by experts in the field while being lead by Dr. Tom Hildebrand. Our mission is to rapidly bring these treatments to immediate clinical use and derive innovation from our treatment experience to guide the next generation of research.
With these efforts, we hope to one day eliminate these diseases along with the suffering of our patients and their caregivers.
Assessment and Treatment
- Comprehensive diagnostic assessments
- Bariatric surgery evaluations:
- Treatment for individuals with anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorder, obesity, body image concerns, and men with muscle dysmorphia or anabolic steroid use.
- Individualized treatment addresses each patient’s needs, including care for co-occurring conditions such as depression, anxiety, and addiction.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy-Enhanced
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy
- Maudsley Based Family Therapy and Family Based Therapy-Exposure (FBT-E)
- Group therapy sessions
Through The Friedman Brain Institute, our Program is developing novel therapeutic approaches based on improved understanding of the fundamental neurobiology of these disorders. Our group uses state-of-the-art neuroimaging, psychophysiology, and statistical models to study the basic deficits in eating and body image disturbance. Our research includes:
- Development and testing of mirror exposure therapy
- Adapting interoceptive exposure to alter brain regions associated with impaired feeding
- The use fMRI and psychophysiology to understand food avoidance and binge eating
- Gender differences in biology, treatment, and outcomes from eating disorders
- Parent based treatment of pediatric obesity
Our clinicians are leaders in the development and implementation of empirically supported treatments. Our team has developed mirror exposure therapy for eating disorders, tested mobile phone interventions for binge eating populations and developed family based treatments for obesity and anorexia nervosa among the development of other methodologies.
1425 Madison Ave.
Sixth Floor, Room 32
New York, NY 10029
- Mount Sinai Eating and Weight Disorders Program
- Appearance and Performance Enhancing Drug Program
- Clinical Trials:
- Weight Management Program
- Mount Sinai Hospital Adolescent Health Center
- Psychiatry Patient Care Mount Sinai Health System
- Icahn School of Medicine Adolescent Health Center
- Overweight/Obesity Health Library
- Psychiatry Department Icahn School of Medicine
- Eating Disorders Research