Hess CSM-SC1 - Preclinical Imaging
1. 9.4T MR Bruker. This is a high resolution rodent only MRI scanner allowing for high resolution in-vivo imaging of mice and smaller specimens. It is 9.4 Tesla 89-mm bore MRI system operating at a proton frequency of 400 MHz (Bruker, Billerica, MA) w. Isoflurane/O2 gas mixture is delivered through a nose cone and placed in a 30 mm birdcage coil with an animal handling system. The 9.4T is equipped with a mouse respiratory and cardiac sensor connected to a monitoring and gating system (SA Instruments, Inc., Stony Brook, NY).
This system will be upgraded in late 2013 to include a AVANCE III 400 Console with a BLAXH300/100 transmitter system for 1H and 19F and a X-frequencies broadband transmitter system.
2. 7.0T MR Bruker Biospec 70/30. This is a high-resolution MR scanner for small animals. The maximum bore diameter for imaging is 15.4cm. This system is equipped with two gradient choices, a large build in gradient system with up to 200mt/m and a slew rate of 640T/m/s. This gradient in combination with a large circular polarized coil will allow imaging of animals up to 15.4cm in diameter. The system is also equipped with a high performance gradient insert with 440 mT/m and slew rate of 3,440 T/m/s for high resolution imaging. The system has two transmit and four receive channels. There is a 35mm ID circular polarized coil for in-vivo mouse imaging as well as a four channel phased array for mouse brain and a four channel phased array for mouse cardiac imaging. There are also three other dual tuned 20mm surface coils for 31P, 13C and 19F. The 7T Bruker is equipped with the Autopac system.
3. Biophotonic IVIS-Spectrum. This is a rodent bioluminescent and fluorescent imaging device for in vivo imaging of cellular processes and proliferation in mouse or rat models. This unit has integrated anesthesia for live imaging experiments. For fluorescent imaging, it has both epi-excitation as well as scanning transillumination excitation options for more selective excitation to reduce background fluorescence signals. This newly acquired scanner has excitation filters ranging from 420nm to 760nm and emission filters from 450nm to 860nm allowing imaging of near IR probes.
4. 7 Near IR Frangioni imager. This rodent scanner is designed to visualize cellular probes that fluoresce in the Near IR region which provides much better tissue penetration than traditional Green Fluorescent Proteins.
5. Micro US Vevo 2100 VisualSonics. This is a dedicated Ultrasound system for small animal models (mice to rabbits) of disease. This scanner is capable of all imaging modes found in clinical U.S. scanners such as color Doppler, M-mode, 3D imaging and volume analysis, but at much higher spatial resolution. It allows for rapid animal screening of tumor and other models. The higher resolution of this system will also allow for image guided injection.
6. Procedure Room. This room is equipped with a five foot biosafety cabinet for performing animal procedures. This room is also equipped with Isofluorane Anesthesia system for various surgical procedures.
7. Dose room. This room is equipped with a shielded biosafety cabinet for preparation of radioactive tracers and cell labeling. There is also a dose calibrator for measuring radioactive ligands used for animal imaging.
8. Gamma Counter Room. This room is equipped with a Perkin Elmer WIZARD2 1-detector automated gamma counter capable of counting 1,000 samples. It also has a Thermo scientific Sorvall Legend X1 centrifuge and related scales.
9. Microscopy Room. This room is equipped with a Nikon Eclipse Ci-L LED microscope with integrated digital camera system for digitizing pathology slides.