Projects and Grants
Schizophrenia and Alzheimer's Disease
- Profiling alternative splicing in schizophrenia and mouse models of dysmyelination using alternative splicing microarrays.
- Finding targets of the RNA binding protein QKI implicated in schizophrenia by both gene expression and genetic linkage studies.
- Identifying functional alleles in QKI, and other candidate RNA binding proteins, that may be associated with schizophrenia.
- Characterizing the regional expression profile of certain RNA binding proteins that are decreased in postmortem samples of schizophrenic brain.
- Quantitative regional expression profiling of the Glutamate Type 1 transporter isoforms; relevance to schizophrenia and AD.
Projects one through four summarized in:
McInnes LA & Lauriat TL. (2006) RNA metabolism and dysmyelination in schizophrenia. Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews (in press).
- Profiling submicroscopic chromosomal abnormalities in autism using array-based Comparative Genomic Hybridization (500K Affy arrays). Abnormalities detected are followed up using FISH, genomic real-time PCR, and Q-RT PCR.