Orthopaedic Research Laboratories News
- Devina Purmessur was elected the Young Investigator Member-At Large of the ORS Board of Directors. Congratulations Devina and thanks for serving the ORS!
- James Iatridis appointed committee member of the ORS New Investigator Mentoring Committee and serves as faculty for the 2013 ORS/OREF/AAOS New Investigator Workshop, May 16-17, 2013.
- Benjamin Walter completed control system and validation of the loading system for intervertebral disc organ culture, or LODOC. A long and highly anticipated project endpoint
- Nisha George successfully defended her MS thesis
- Young Lu finished his remarkably productive medical student research year publishing several abstracts and papers and resumes his clinical rotations.
- James Iatridis is invited faculty for at the Anatomical Society Summer Meeting: Form and Function in Regenerative Medicine, in Dublin, Ireland on July 4-5, 2013.
- Devina Purmessur awarded an AO Startup Grant entitled: Developmental strategies for treating symptomatic intervertebral disc degeneration.
- Samuel Cho awarded an OREF Grant entitled: Notochordal cells release anti-neural and anti-vascular factors that can be used to treat discogenic pain.
- Morakot Likhitpanichkul awarded a grant from the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. 4D Technology Development Program on 'Localized Drug Delivery for Back Pain.'
- Jadry Gruen admitted to medical school at SUNY Stony Brook. Congratulations Jadry!
- Marisa Cornejo, Devina Purmessur and James Iatridis awarded a Diversity Supplement Grant from the NIH.
- Nelly Andarawis-Puri, Evan Flatow, and Lou Soslowsky (Upenn) have been awarded an R13 NIH grant to co-chair a tendon meeting which will be held on 9/11-9/12/2014. The meeting will be co-sponsored by Mount Sinai and the ORS.
- Nelly Andarawis-Puri and Devina Purmessur have been appointed as organizers of the ORS networking breakfasts for the 2014 meeting.
- Nelly Andarawi-Puri, James Iatridis, and Evan Flatow serve as invited faculty for the Musculoskeletal Repair and Regeneration Symposium at Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx, NY.
- Meagan Robles-Harris, Nelly Andarawis-Puri and Evan Flatow have been awarded a Diversity Supplement Grant from the NIH.
- Congratulations to Devina Purmessur for winning the Mount Sinai 2012 Postdoctoral travel award.
- Congratulations to Stephen Ros for presenting and winning in the student paper competition at the International Society for Ligament and Tendon presentation in San Francisco.
- The ORL presented 5 podium (Nelly Andarawis-Puri, James Iatridis, Alon Lai & Devina Purmessur) and 9 poster (Nelly Andarawis-Puri, Meghan Faillace, Svenja Illien-Junger, Melissa Ramcharan, Devina Purmessur, Stephen Ros, Ben Walter) presentations at the Orthopaedic Research Society Meeting in San Francisco.
- Nelly Andarawis-Puri and Stephen Ros each presented a podium presentation at the International Symposium for Ligaments and Tendons.
- James Iatridis presented 2 invited talks at the Orthopaedic Research Society meeting in San Francisco: Spotlight talk entitled 'Biomechanics and mechanobiology of intervertebral disc injury and repair' and Professional Advancement Series talk entitled: 'What to do when your grants don't get funded?'
- Melissa Ramcharan successfully defended her PhD candidacy second exam at CCNY.
- James Iatridis appointed Chair of the NIH SBSR Study Section
- James Iatridis presented invited plenary seminar entitled "Biomechanics, mechanobiology and injury in degenerating intervertebral discs" at the European Society of Biomechanics in Lisbon Portugal.
- Devina Purmessur delivered a podium presentation at the World Spine Forum for Spine Research, Helsinki, Finland.
- James Iatridis presented an invited lecture entitled "Maximizing your chances in grant applications: NIH funding" at the World Forum for Spine Research. Helsinki, Finland.
- James Iatridis presented an invited debate entitled 'The ups and downs of loading history in accelerating disc degeneration' in the session entitled 'Mechanisms of Disc Degeneration I: What is more dominant in mechanisms of dynamic disc degeneration?' at the World Forum for Spine Research in Helsinki, Finland.
- Congratulations to Ben Walter for completing his Qualifying Exam for his PhD in Biomedical Engineering at CCNY on June 14, 2012.
- Stephen Ros successfully defended his PhD thesis on June 7,2012, entitled "Investigation of the Biomechanical, Structural, and Cellular Response to Fatigue Damage Accumulation in a Novel In Vitro Tail Tendon Injury Model".
- Khyati Dave, on May 24th, successfully defended her MS thesis in Biomedical Engineering at CCNY with her thesis entitled "Characterization of rheological properties and degradation rate of genipin crosslinked fibrin hydrogel for annulus fibrosus repair".
- Michael Boniello successfully defended his MS thesis on May 18, 2012, entitled "The Effect of Treadmill Running Exercise Initiated Immediately After Fatigue Loading on the Recovery of Fatigue Damaged Rat Patellar Tendons".