Human Research Subject Protection
Effective January 1, 2011, the only Human Research Subject Protection training course accepted by the PPHS office will be the CITI program. All personnel will need to complete the CITI program course requirement.
All Investigators/research staff must complete the CITI training curriculum before engaging in any human subjects research. The PPHS office will not process any submissions until this training has been completed by all members of the research team associated with the submission.
If you have previously completed CITI training for any other project or institution, please log in to CITI and add "Icahn School of Medicine NYC" as an affiliate in order for any of your credits to transfer. You will be required to complete the course curriculum for your credits to transfer.
How long will it take to complete the course?
The Basic Human Subjects course is expected to take 4-6 hours to complete. The average user breaks this down over 5 sessions. All modules must be passed and completed in order for you to fulfill the education requirement.
What to do when the course has been completed?
Please retain your certificate. You do not have to send it to the PPHS. We will be notified by CITI when you have completed the course.
How long will the course remain valid?
Beginning in January 2011, ongoing education in human subjects research will be required every 3 years. Refresher courses will be offered through the CITI program to meet this new requirement.
How to begin the certification course?
- Go to www.citiprogram.org
- Click on “New Users Register Here”.
- Under "Select your institution or organization", select "Icahn School of Medicine NYC". in the "Participating Institutions" drop down box.
- Create your own username and password and select the learner group “Investigators/Research staff” under Question 1.
- Select and complete all necessary courses.
- Make sure to keep a copy of each completion report for your own file.
What if I have already taken coursework through www.citiprogram.org?
- Log-in using your user name and password.
- Click on “Affiliate with another institution” from the main menu page to add Icahn School of Medicine- NYC” to your account and/or;
- Click on “Add a course or update your leaner groups for Icahn School of Medicine NYC.