The FlexMed application opens in mid-August and the deadline to submit an application is January 15.
Prior to January 15:
Students will have to complete two semesters of college Biology, two semesters of college Chemistry, or two semesters of college Physics.
- The two semester requirement can cover any discipline of Biology, Chemistry, or Physics including Biochemistry, Genetics, Molecular Biology, Pharmacology, Cell Biology, Physiology, Microbiology, Immunobiology, etc.
- AP or IB credit cannot substitute this requirement. If you have received college credit from AP or IB coursework, higher level science courses must be taken to fulfill this requirement.
- Coursework must be completed by the application deadline on January 15.
Prior to Matriculation:
Prior to matriculation, students will be required to complete the following courses:
- Two semesters of Biology (not AP or IB but college course work)
- Two semesters of Chemistry (not AP or IB but college course work)
- Two semesters of English
- One semester of Physics (AP or IB Physics in HS with a score of 4 or higher)
- Two semesters of lab in any science
- One semester of Health Policy, Public Health, or Global Health
- One semester of Ethics
- One semester of Statistics
- A Senior Thesis or its equivalent in an area of academic concentration
- An in-depth experience in which the student gains exposure to human illness
Students will be strongly encouraged to gain proficiency in either Spanish or Mandarin.
In the five weeks prior to matriculation, FlexMed students who have not had advanced science courses (specifically organic chemistry and biochemistry) will be required to participate in our Summer Enrichment Program (SEP) that will provide them with basic competency in Cell and Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, and Organic Chemistry.
Admitted students will be required to achieve a "B" in all required courses, will be expected to maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.5, and will not be permitted to take the MCAT.