The Mount Sinai Health System offers comprehensive services for individuals and families struggling with substance abuse.
At the Addiction Institute at Mount Sinai, we develop an individualized plan, combining inpatient and outpatient care when appropriate, to provide state-of-the-art medical and behavioral health diagnostic and specialty services. We work to assure you of continuity of care as you progress to recovery.
Substance abuse counseling services help you understand addiction and recovery and help you increase your motivation. We are committed to providing comprehensive, evidence-based treatment services, incorporating multidisciplinary approaches, and helping you establish a healthy lifestyle. Outreach and education events encourage and support you and your family in learning about recovery and relapse prevention. We also offer aftercare clinics and counseling for ongoing support.
Our medically managed inpatient and outpatient services are available to patients and families in clinics throughout the Mount Sinai Health System.
Our inpatient services include several approaches:
- Detoxification is the removal of substances from your system. Detoxification treatments for acute withdrawal require immediate attention. Treatment includes engagement, assessment, motivation, and referral. Detoxification is not meant to treat addiction but is the first step to long-term treatment. Our state-of-the-art medical facilities enable us to provide a safe, humane detox that helps regulate withdrawal symptoms.
- Inpatient rehabilitation is generally the next step in the recovery process. Inpatient treatment helps you develop the basic skills you need to achieve a successful recovery from addiction. Our services consist of separate yet integrated treatment components that range from low-intensity to very high-intensity services. Your length of stay depends on the substance involved and your medical condition. We have flexible length-of-stay programs if you need an intensive, inpatient treatment experience. Our evidence-based addiction treatment methods take place in a supportive atmosphere, led by a multidisciplinary team of experienced clinicians.
- The Opioid Treatment Program (OTP) is one of the largest non-profit methadone clinics in the United States. The OTP at Mount Sinai Beth Israel has been in operation for more than 40 years, with clinics throughout Manhattan and Brooklyn. Methadone maintenance is a well-established treatment that has proven to be an invaluable tool for the effective treatment and rehabilitation of opioid-addicted individuals. We also use Buprenorpnine (Brand name Suboxone), which has also been shown to effectively treat opioid use disorder.
Our outpatient services include:
- Assessment and comprehensive evaluation
- Medication-assisted opioid addiction treatment
- Chemical dependency education
- Family support services, including both individual and group counseling
- Psychiatric services
Additional services at our locations include:
- Ambulatory detoxification
- Intensive day treatment services
- Evening treatment services
- DWI assessment and treatment services