Integrated Palliative Medicine Fellowship
The Hertzberg Palliative Care Institute at Icahn School of Medicine offers a one-year palliative medicine fellowship designed to meet the career goals of physicians who aim to practice palliative medicine in an academic setting. Originally designed as the first program in the country with integrated training in palliative care and hematology/oncology or geriatrics, many of our former and current fellows choose to combine the clinical palliative care year with training in another subspecialty of internal medicine (e.g. pulmonary/critical care, cardiology, nephrology). Fellows interested in a career as a clinician investigator may also opt to complete a second year of dedicated research in palliative medicine. Find out more information about the flexible options open to learners in the Mount Sinai Fellowship in Palliative Medicine.
In January 2009, the Integrated Palliative Medicine Fellowship at the Mount Sinai Medical Center was awarded accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) during its first accreditation cycle for Hospice and Palliative Medicine programs. This accreditation is retroactive to July 2008, therefore including the entire 2008-2009 academic year. Prior to July 2008, the fellowship was accredited by the Palliative Medicine Review Committee (PMRC) of the American Board of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (ABHPM).
More than traditional clinical fellowships, our integrated fellowships are uniquely designed for individuals who want to be positioned as national leaders in the rapidly growing field of palliative medicine. The program is open to individuals who show academic potential and intend to become successful academic leaders.
- Comprehensive curriculum encompassing patient care, curriculum design, clinical research, outcome measurement, leadership skills, and hospital-based palliative care program development
- One-on-one mentoring from nationally recognized leaders in the field
- Options for additional years of support to pursue an original, mentored research project
- Flexibility to accommodate individual professional interests
- Board-eligibility for certification in Hospice and Palliative Medicine
Fellowship Academic Coordinator
Brookdale Department of Geriatrics and Palliative Medicine
One Gustave L. Levy Place
New York, NY 10029-6574