Awards, Publications, and Grants
A look at the recent articles published, and awards and grants received by faculty members in the Department of Psychiatry
Faculty members in the Department of Psychiatry at Mount Sinai School of Medicine have recently published the following articles, and received the below awards and grants.
Anne-Claude Bedard, PhD, 2012 Robin Chemers Neustein Postdoctoral Fellowship Award
Kristen J. Brennand, PhD, Young Investigator Awards, “Modeling Schizophrenia Using Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells: Assessing the Contribution of Glutamatergic and Dopaminergic Neurons to Disease”
Wayne K. Goodman, MD, 2012 Outstanding Career Achievement Award, International OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) Foundation
Hala Harony-Nicolas, PhD, Best Poster Award, 2012 Phelan- McDermid Syndrome Foundation International Family Conference and Scientific Symposium
Brian M. Iacoviello, PhD, Young Investigator Awards, "A Novel Cognitive Training Intervention for Depression"
Hirofumi Morishita, MD, PhD, 2012 American College of Neuropsychopharmacology Travel Award and the Young Investigator Awards, “Developmental GABA-Myelin Interaction Across Critical Period: Relevance for Schizophrenia”
Schahram Akbarian MD, PhD
- Jakovcevski M, Akbarian S, Epigenetic mechanisms in neurological disease. Nat Med. 2012 Aug 6;18(8):1194-204. doi: 10.1038/nm.2828.
- Connor CM, Dincer A, Straubhaar J, Galler JR, Houston IB, Akbarian S, Maternal immune activation alters behavior in adult offspring, with subtle changes in the cortical transcriptome and epigenome. Schizophr Res. 2012 Jul 15. [Epub ahead of print]
- Qin J, Whyte WA, Anderssen E, Apostolou E, Chen HH, Akbarian S, Bronson RT, Hochedlinger K, Ramaswamy S, Young RA, Hock H., The Polycomb Group Protein L3mbtl2 Assembles an Atypical PRC1-Family Complex that Is Essential in Pluripotent Stem Cells and Early Development., Cell Stem Cell. 2012 Jul 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Houston I, Peter CJ, Mitchell A, Straubhaar J, Rogaev E, Akbarian S, Epigenetics in the Human Brain., Neuropsychopharmacology. 2012 May 30. doi: 10.1038/npp.2012.78. [Epub ahead of print]
Joseph D. Buxbaum, PhD
- Ionita-Laza I, Makarov V, American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) Autism Sequencing Consortium, Buxbaum JD. Scan-statistic approach identifies clusters of rare disease variants in LRP2, a gene linked and associated with autism spectrum disorders, in three datasets. The American Journal of Human Genetics. June 2012.
Javier Gonzalez-Maeso, PhD
- Williams AA, Ingram WM, Levine S, Resnik J, Kamel CM, Lish JR, Elizalde DI, Janowski SA, Shoker J, Kozlenkov A, Gonzalez-Maeso J, Gallitano AL. Reduced Levels of Serotonin 2A Receptors Underlie Resistance of Egr3-Deficient Mice to Locomotor Suppression by Clozapine. Neuropsychopharmacology 37:2285-2298 (2012).
- Kurita M, Holloway T, Garcia-Bea A, Kozlenkov A, Friedman AK, Moreno JL, Heshmati M, Golden SA, Kennedy PJ,Takahashi N, Dietz DM, Mocci G, Gabilondo AM, Hanks J, Umali A, Callado LF, Gallitano AL, Neve RL, Shen L, Buxbaum JD, Han MH, Nestler EJ, Meana JJ, Russo SJ, Gonzalez-Maeso J. HDAC2 regulates atypical antipsychotic responses through the modulation of mGlu2 promoter activity. Nat Neurosci 15:1245-1254 (2012). News and Views by Steven E Hyman. Nat Neurosci 15:1180-1181 (2012).
- Moreno JL, Holloway T, Umali A, Rayannavar V, Sealfon SC, Gonzalez-Maeso J. Persistent effects of chronic clozapine on the cellular and behavioral responses to LSD in mice. Psychopharmacology (Berl) Epub ahead of print (2012).
Jeffrey Halperin, PhD & Jeffrey Newcorn, MD
- Schulz KP, Fan J, Bedard A-CV, Clerkin SM, Ivanov I, Tang CY, Halperin JM, & Newcorn JH. (2012). Common and unique therapeutic mechanisms of stimulant and nonstimulant treatments for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. Archives of General Psychiatry, 69(9), In press.
Erin Hazlett, PhD
- Hazlett EA, Zhang J, Zelmanova Y, et al. Potentiated amygdala response to repeated emotional pictures in borderline personality disorder. Biol Psychiatry, 2012. PMID: 22560044.
Ben Angarita, MD, Latino Mental Health Fellowship, American Psychiatric Association (APA)
Schahram Akbarian, MD, PhD
- Harvard-National Institutes of Health (NIH) SC, Transgenerational Effects of Undernutrition on Children
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), Transfer - Small RNA regulation of BDNF expression in schizophrenia
- NIH/Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Dopaminergic Epigenomes from Human Brain
Joseph Buxbaum, PhD
- Sage Bionetworks, Common Mind Consortium
- NIMH, White Matter Abnormalities in Schizophrenia
- NIMH, Identifying therapeutic targets for autism using Shank3-deficient mice
- NIMH, Population-Based Autism Genetics & Environment Study (PAGES)
Barbara Coffey, MD, Catalyst Pharmaceuticals, Open Label Safety and Tolerability Trial of Vigabatrin in Adults with Treatment Refractory Tourette’s Disorder
Stella Dracheva, PhD, NIMH, Molecular Determinants of Individual Differences in Fear Reactivity and Reery
Vilma Gabbay, MD, NIMH, The Neuroimmunology of Anhedonia
Sam Gandy, MD, PhD, NIMH, Generation and Characterization of Alzheimer Brain Cells
David Grodberg, MD, Mount Sinai KL2 Clinical and Translational Research Scholars Program – NIH, KL2 Faculty Scholar Award
Soong Ho Kim, PhD
- American Health Assistance Foundation, In vivo testing of Group II metabotropic glutamate receptor antagonist for treating Alzheimers disease
Brian Iacoviello, PhD, National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression (NARSAD), A Novel Cognitive Training Intervention for Depression
Alexander Kolevzon, MD
- NIH/NIMH, Study of Oxytocin in ASD to improve Reciprocal Social Behaviors (SOARS-B)
Hirofumi Morishita, MD, PhD
- Whitehall Foundation, Mechanisms Balancing Plasticity and Stability in the Adult Cortex
- NARSAD, Developmental GABA-Myelin Interaction Across Critical Period: Relevance for Schizophrenia
- Knights Templar Eye Foundation, Molecular and Circuit Based Therapeutic Strategy for Amblyopia
James Murrough, MD, Le Foundation, Functional Connectivity Biomarkers of Antidepressant Response to Ketamin
Jeffrey Newcorn, MD, NIMH, Imaging Stimulant and Non-stimulant Treatments for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD): A Network-Based Approach
Juan Pedraza, MD, American Professional Society of ADHD and Related Disorders and the Pond Family Foundation, Improving identification of ADHD and Executive Function in Parents of Children Diagnosed with ADHD Using Objective Measures
Avi Reichenberg, PhD, National Institute of Child Health & Human Development (NICHD), Multigenerational FamIlial and Environmental Risk for Autism (MINERvA) Network
Daniela Schiller, PhD, Le Foundation, Neuroimaging of Personal Olfactory Memories
Pamela Sklar, MD, PhD
- Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH)-NIH, International Cohort Collection for Bipolar Disorder
- NIMH, 4/4-Psychiatric Genome-wide Association Study Consortium: Genomic Follow-Up Next-Gen Sequencing & Genotypi
- NIMH, 1/3 Networks from multidimensional data for schizophrenia and related disorders
- NIMH, 2/2-A Large-Scale Schizophrenia Association Study in Sweden
Emily Stern, PhD
- Mount Sinai KL2 Clinical and Translational Research Scholars Program – NIH, KL2 Faculty Scholar Award
- Le Foundation, Modulation of the insula during emotion regulation using real-time functional MRI
Ting Wang, PhD, Le Foundation, Pilot Neuroimaging Study of 22q13 Deletion Syndrome
Rachel Yehuda, PhD, New York University - Department of Defense, Biomarkers for PTSD