How to Apply
All students within the PhD program must be matriculated full time. Applicants should have a strong science background and evidence of those characteristics that lead to an independent and productive research career. An exposure to research is of great interest to our admissions committee.
Applicants who have taken some advanced science coursework are highly desired. Prior to matriculation, students should have completed:
- A year of differential and integral calculus and/or statistics
- A year of physics
- Chemistry through second-semester organic chemistry
- At least a year of biology
- At least one semester of biochemistry
Often otherwise highly qualified and motivated students are missing a particular undergraduate course requirement. The admissions committee takes into account all submitted materials and considers each applicant on an individual basis for his or her potential to successfully complete required graduate coursework. Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores (verbal, quantitative and analytical) are required for consideration. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for students for whom English is not the first language.
To apply, please submit:
- A completed online application form
- Original official transcripts from post-secondary institutions attended. Each transcript should be in a sealed institutional envelope. Alternatively, the registrar(s) may send the transcript(s) directly to the Admissions Office at the address given below. Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai requires international applicants to have their foreign transcripts translated into English and evaluated by a certified credential evaluation service (ex. WES, ECE, FIS).
- Three letters of recommendation. We are particularly interested in hearing from individuals who have had opportunities to interact with you in a research setting. Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai uses the Online Admissions System. Embedded in your application will be your ability to submit contact information for three recommenders. Please have their e-mail addresses available so that you may submit the information when prompted. Your recommenders will receive an e-mail from "email@example.com" with information guiding them through the letter of recommendation submission process.
- GRE scores (and a TOEFL score for students for whom English is not the first language) [School Code 2464]. The GRE Subject test is optional but highly recommended.
- Payment of the application fee ($80) is part of the online application. You will be prompted on how to pay by credit card, check, or money order.
- Closing date for receipt of all materials is December 1.
Review of applications will begin in September. Early submission is encouraged. Transcripts, official GRE scores (and TOEFL, if applicable), and checks/money orders should be mailed to the following address:
Office of Admissions – PhD Program
One Gustave L. Levy Place, Box 1002
New York, NY 10029
Our application deadline is December 1. However, we strongly recommend that you submit a completed application as early as possible.