Our Institutional Partnership with the Department of the Navy allows enlisted men and women, as well as officers, provisional acceptance to the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (ISMMS) unencumbered by the traditional science requirements and MCAT. To be considered for admission, applicants must be on full-time active duty with the Department of the Navy and hold a baccalaureate degree recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Candidates admitted into the Program are offered provisional acceptance to ISMMS and then may defer their acceptance to continue their military service and meet all necessary requirements.
The application opens in August and the deadline is November 15. Students must apply to ISMMS through the Institutional Partnership application system.
- The Institutional Partnership application is open to full-time, active duty personnel members of the Department of the Navy
- Applicants must hold a baccalaureate degree from a U.S. or Canadian accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order to be considered for admission
- Three letters of recommendation, including a letter from Commanding Officer (required) and Battalion Surgeon (suggested)
- Articulate a compelling connection between your military service and a career in medicine or biomedical research
- Describe your experience(s) in the military (e.g., training, deployments, or medical internships while on active duty) that you believe will bring a unique perspective and value to a medical school class and the profession of medicine.
- One year (two semesters or equivalent) of college science in Biology, Chemistry, or Physics (AP credits will not be accepted for this requirement). The requirement must be fulfilled within the same science discipline (i.e., a year of college biology, a year of college chemistry, or a year of college physics), and must be completed at a U.S. or Canadian accredited institution. No online courses can be used to fulfill the requirement.
- Standardized Testing: SAT, ACT or National Exams
- Conferred undergraduate baccalaureate degree and transcripts from all academic institution(s) attended for academic credit showing all courses, grades, and degrees received (if any).
Selected applicants will be invited to interview at the Icahn School of Medicine. These interviews will take place from December through February. Decision notifications are sent out on a rolling basis.
Prior to matriculation:
Prior to matriculation, students will be required to complete the following:
- One year of Biology*
- One year of Chemistry*
- One semester of Physics*
- One semester of Statistics*
- One year of Laboratory work in any science*
- Honorable discharge from military service
- 100 hours of clinical work any time since starting college
In the five weeks prior to matriculation, students who have not had advanced science courses (specifically organic chemistry and biochemistry) will be required to participate in our Summer Enrichment Program (SEP) that will provide them with basic competency in cell and molecular biology, biochemistry, and organic chemistry.
*No online courses can be used to fulfill the pre-matriculation requirements
Admitted students will be required to achieve a ‘B’ in all required courses, will be expected to maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.5, and will not be permitted to take the MCAT.
For additional information on the Department of the Navy/ISMMS Institutional Partnership, contact Admissions.