After we screen all Post-Baccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP) applications, we invite selected applicants for a visit to our campus. If you are an invited applicant, you will have interviews with faculty in your research interest, and spend time with PREP alumni, current PREP scholars, and PREP leadership.
One of our main goals is to increase minority enrollment of PhD and MD/PhD students in graduate programs, and to enhance the quality of the experience you will have when you enter a pre-doctoral program. Our other goals are to:
- Provide an opportunity for you to participate in an intensive research experience in an area of particular interest and in a cutting-edge laboratory
- Help you to discover careers in diverse aspects of biomedical research and education
- Offer an interim period during which you are part of a graduate school community
- Provide an individualized program for those of you who will benefit from skills development and a gradual initiation to graduate coursework
- Foster opportunities for participation in community outreach projects and attendance at Center for Multicultural and Community Affairs Grand Rounds on health and health care disparities
- Contribute in the longer-term to the number of highly qualified biomedical researchers from underrepresented minority groups who enter independent research careers and contribute problem-solving skills to biomedicine
To qualify for PREP, participants must be recent baccalaureate graduates in the biomedical sciences and must be U.S. citizens, non-citizen nationals or permanent residents and must have obtained their baccalaureate degrees from an accredited U.S. college or university no longer than 36 months prior to their application to PREP.
Those eligible to apply to the program include:
- Individuals from racial and ethnic groups that are underrepresented in health-related sciences
- Individuals with disabilities
- Individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds
Application Deadlines and Requirements
We encourage you to apply to Icahn School of Medicine PREP and look forward to meeting you. We start accepting applications to the program in mid-August for the following year. The deadline for applying to the program is March 1. The application requires two letters of recommendation. Additional letters can be included in the application.