Located in one of the most diverse and dynamic cities in the world, the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (ISMMS) shares an eight square block campus with The Mount Sinai Hospital, extending from 98th Street to 102nd Street, and eastward from Fifth Avenue to Park Avenue.
"No place epitomizes the American experience and the American spirit more than New York City." ― Michael Bloomberg
Living and Learning in a Dynamic Community
Diversity abounds for the ISMMS student. Along with the School, the Mount Sinai Health System includes seven hospitals and a network of centers, institutes, and physician practices throughout New York City’s five boroughs. Our hospitals serve every community in New York, from every conceivable demographic, across the entire socio-economic spectrum.
The City at Your Front Door
Our location in the heart of the city affords you countless ways to spend your free time — everything is just a walk, a subway, or a bus ride away. The city is also an international hub for health care, hi-tech, finance, the arts, and scientific industries.
A glimpse of what NYC has to offer:
- Central Park: more than 800 acres of athletic fields, lawns and forests, with the recently restored East Meadow facing the school campus and the Reservoir running track.
- Also in the park, the serene Conservatory Garden is only blocks away, and you can enjoy picnics, ice skating, rollerblading, boating, dining, impromptu and scheduled entertainment, and more.
- Hopstop is an indispensable app for getting around town.
ISMMS is slightly removed from the Midtown bustle of commuters and tourists, and yet we are just a 15-minute subway ride from most of the downtown neighborhoods. Our students find it easy to balance studying and relaxation with entertainment and socializing throughout the city.
Other Activities and Nearby Culture
Culture abounds in the city that never sleeps, from readings and concerts to museums and theater.
- The 92nd Street Y: concerts, lectures, and readings.
- Museum Mile: world-renowned museums such as the Guggenheim, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Jewish Museum, the Museum of the City of New York, Museo del Barrio, the Neue Galerie, the Cooper Hewitt and the Africa Center.
- Time Out NY has all manner of activity listings including movie reviews; Theatermania offers discounts to Broadway and Off-Broadway shows, and the big app-le lists other useful apps.
New York is the place to be for food lovers.
- Seamless.com lets you order food for delivery from local restaurants.
- Menupages lists restaurants and their menus by neighborhood.
- Yelp and Urban Spoon have dining options by neighborhood, along with user reviews and price ranges.
There is no shortage of resources at ISMMS, or in the Big Apple. Here are just a few:
- There are many free and inexpensive things to do in the city, as publicized in the NY Free Guide.
- The ISMMS Recreation Office can assist you with obtaining tickets to the museums as well as numerous sporting and cultural events.
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Student Life Guide has been created by some of your fellow students to help you adjust to school and your surroundings.
- The Wellness Committee is a student organization dedicated to the improvement of health and well-being of students outside of the academic environment.
- Student Council shares the student body’s perspective with school administration and recognizes some 100 student groups.