Residents at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai receive unrivaled opportunities and individualized support through unique clinical experiences, mentorship, and health care quality improvement initiatives. Residents have access to some of the top medical research laboratories, technology, and faculty in the country. Graduate Medical Education (GME) programs provide a wide variety of resources, benefits, and activities that will further your career in medicine. Residency appointments begin in July and are renewed annually for up to 36 consecutive months.
Salary is generally competitive with other programs in the New York City area. Approximate salaries by PGY levels are:
The benefits and privileges enjoyed by Ophthalmology residents at The Mount Sinai Hospital include:
- Health insurance, dental insurance, optical insurance, prescription drug coverage, life insurance, malpractice insurance, Workers’ Compensation, short-term disability, long-term disability and day care
- Four weeks of vacation per academic year
- BCSC series published by the American Academy of Ophthalmology; Wills Manual; iPad mini; white coats; and educational stipend
- Attendance at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Ophthalmology in either the second or third year of training, or an equivalent meeting
- Attendance at meetings when presenting research
- Free shuttle service between The Mount Sinai Hospital and Elmhurst Hospital Center at Bronx VA
- Taxi reimbursement when on call or shuttle not available
- Attendance at selected city-wide conferences and special educational events
- Access to the comprehensive departmental library and the full resources of the Levy Library of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- Access to activity and event discounts through the Recreation Office
- Affordable apartments in hospital-owned housing
The Mount Sinai Health System makes every effort to provide adequate housing for house staff. Resident staff accommodations are available in a number of modern apartment buildings within walking distance of The Mount Sinai Hospital. Standard amenities include 24-hour door attendants and intercom security systems, laundry rooms, sundecks, exercise gym and recreation facilities, and outdoor handball and basketball courts. Residents have a choice of furnished or unfurnished apartments. Larger apartments are available to residents with families. Apartments are subject to availability.
Typical Floor Plans