An administrative internship at the Mount Sinai Department of Surgery will provide an excellent start to a career in healthcare administration. Interns will be mentored by experienced managers, giving them a great first-hand experience in the healthcare industry. Our program provides undergraduate students with a valuable opportunity and challenging experience at one of the country's premier academic medical centers. The paid Administrative Internship Program (AIP) will be an 8-12 week full time position in which each intern will be assigned to different projects, individually and in groups; focusing on the following areas within the department:
- Administration: Interns will be able to work alongside the department administrator on various strategic projects. They will attend meetings within the department and the medical center, develop agendas, learn how to manage timelines, and be exposed to site planning.
- Human Resources: Interns will be exposed to a variety of HR activities including but not limited to: conducting interviews; recruiting and selecting candidates; developing job descriptions; and assisting the HR manager with editing, writing, and updating policies and procedures as well as program content.
- Practice Management: Interns will get a first look into the day-to-day operations of Mount Sinai Surgical Associates. They will conduct environmental rounds with the practice manager and will gain an understanding of the front desk operations, running office hours, patient relations, and rounding on staff
- Financial Management: Interns will be provided an overview of health care financial accounting, have exposure to profit and loss analyses, budgeting, and how to prepare financial statements.
- Revenue Cycle Management: Interns will work with the revenue cycle manager on data collection, basic data analysis, revenue cycle collection, and payment posting.
- Research: Interns will assist with various ongoing research projects and grants and will learn Institutional Review Board protocols and procedures.
- Marketing: Interns will learn how to compose and design patient information brochures, pamphlets, draft faculty announcement cards, and interact with the institutional web development team.
The deadline to apply for the administrative internship is February 21, 2018. To apply for the program, please submit the following information:
- A brief statement of career goals and interests
- Current resume
- Two letters of recommendations
- Current transcript
The above information should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Currently be enrolled in an undergraduate program in any healthcare or business related field.
- Must have completed at least one year of college.
- Applicant must have a minimum GPA of 3.0.
About The Department of Surgery
At the Ruth J. & Maxwell Hauser and Harriet & Arthur H. Aufses, Jr., MD, Department of Surgery of Icahn School of Medicine, our goal is to provide state of the art care for our patients by staying a step ahead of leading research in surgical disorders. Our unsurpassed patient care and dedication to our faculty and staff are our number one priority. The Department of Surgery is where exceptional patient care, innovative research and state of the art technology are coupled with a challenging academic environment to create a world-class department for surgical excellence.
Building on more than 150 years of leadership, we are committed to continue the long tradition of the Department of Surgery in providing surgical services to meet the diverse needs of our patients. The Department is a multispecialty group with areas of expertise in breast, colorectal, general, endocrine, laparoscopic, pediatric, complex wound care, and plastic surgery, as well as comprehensive care for peripheral vascular diseases. Highly trained teams of surgeons offer expert, state-of-the-art surgical care, ranging from minimally invasive surgery, such as laparoscopic, procedures for obesity, to corrective operations for newborn malformations.
Our dedicated team of experienced surgeons and staff offer patients a myriad of cutting edge treatments that have revolutionized the field of surgery. We are dedicated to providing world-class teaching for our residents and medical students, to train the next generation of leaders in the field.