We designed the Faculty Scholars Program to recruit and advance our faculty from underrepresented groups in medicine. Academic medicine, with its emphasis on clinical care, conducting and publishing research, teaching, and professional leadership, can be challenging. Through mentorship and coaching, we provide resources that have not always been accessible to all in our field.
To recruit faculty from underrepresented groups and help them develop their careers and expertise, we work with several internal institutional partners including:
- Faculty Diversity Council
- Diversity in Biomedical Research Council
- CMCA GME Diversity Committee
- Office of Women’s Careers
- Office of Academic Development and Enrichment
- Institute for Medical Education
- Office for Diversity and Inclusion of the Mount Sinai Health System
Retaining minority faculty members can be just as challenging as recruitment. We incorporate individualized check-in meetings between junior faculty members and experts in academic medicine career development, providing the support and the time they need to progress.