The Department of Anesthesiology offers two one-year fellowships in obstetric anesthesiology. Our program is approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) and we comply with guidelines on fellow duty hours and conditions of work laid out by ACGME guidelines and the Bell Commission of New York State.
Our curriculum is designed to provide advanced subspecialty training in obstetric anesthesia through intense clinical training, didactics, and research. Our fellows see a wide range of cases as they help manage approximately 8,400 women who deliver annually at Mount Sinai, 30 percent of whom are high-risk. Approximately 90 percent of obstetric patients receive anesthesia care.
In addition to helping coordinate our clinical activities, our fellows teach and supervise the anesthesia residents rotating through the service. You participate in a full range of academic and research activities, including rotations with the neonatal intensive care unit and Maternal Fetal Medicine. You will have opportunities to develop original research projects and to participate in ongoing research.
How to Apply
We welcome your interest in the Department of Anesthesiology at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. We participate in the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP) for ACGME-accredited Obstetric Anesthesia Fellowships. We use the common OB Anesthesia Fellowship application and do not require the supplemental questions. Please e-mail your completed application to Michelle.email@example.com. In addition, please submit the following directly to our program coordinator:
- Current curriculum vitae
- Three original recommendation letters from physicians or faculty members familiar with your work. If you are currently a resident/fellow, you must include one letter from your current Program Director. Please have your recommenders mail these letters directly to our program, to the attention of our Program Director.
- Original final transcript with seal from your medical school
- A letter from the Dean of your medical school
- Copy of your medical school diploma
- Copy of the results of all of your qualifying exams (USMLE, COMLEX, NBME, FLEX, FMGEMS)
- Copy of your PGY-1/Internship Certificate
- International Medical Graduates must provide a copy of your ECFMG Certificate
- Recent passport sized photograph with your name written on the back
Meet Our Team
Our faculty provides didactic and clinical education to our fellows. Our team includes:
Yaakov Beilin, MD
Jeff Zahn, MD
Assistant Fellowship Director
We are proud of the physicians who have graduated from our Fellowship Program:
- Mihai Galea, MD (1998)
- Sharon Abramovitz, MD (1999)
- Ashalatha Nair, MD (2001)
- Jonathan Epstein, MD (2009)
- Alison Schmeck, MD (2014)
- Yelena Spitzer, MD (2014)
- Nakiyah Knibbs, MD (2015)
- Michael Marotta, MD (2015)
- Joshua Hamburger, MD (2016)
- David Gutman, MD (2016)