Recent History of the Mount Sinai Department of Anesthesiology

By Arthur H. Aufses, Jr., MD

Although professionally trained anesthesiologists have been part of the Mount Sinai family since 1902, Departmental status was not acknowledged until 1950 when Bernard Eliasberg, Anesthetist to the Hospital, was granted a seat on the Medical Board. And so it came to pass that in 2000, the Department celebrated its 50th Anniversary, and in 2010 its 60th. Two publications have documented the history of anesthesia services in the Institution from when it opened its doors in 1852 as the Jews' Hospital up to the year 2002.1 Follow the links below to learn more about the accomplishments of the Department over the last decade: