Student Health Insurance
Medical insurance is required for all Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai students. Enrollments, terminations, or changes must be made through the Office of Enrollment Services in Annenberg 12-70.
If an incoming student has outside coverage, proof of that coverage must be submitted to Leonara Dasu in Annenberg 12-70.
Once initiated, changes can only be made during the open enrollment period, which takes place in June of each year. Email notifications will go out advising of the open enrollment period. The changes made during open enrollment will become effective July 1. The academic year’s benefit coverage is from July 1 through June 30. For qualifying events, such as marriage, birth of a child, or being dropped from parents’ coverage, the change must be done within 30 days of the qualifying event.
After coverage is initiated, that coverage will remain in effect until the student graduates or shows proof of other coverage.
Although basic medical insurance coverage is required, dental and vision coverage is optional. Enrollment, termination or changes for the optional coverage must also be made through Leonara Dasu in Annenberg 12-70.
- Incoming Students
- August matriculating students will be informed about the Medical Insurance Enrollment during Orientation.
- All incoming students must see Leonara Dasu in Annenberg 12-70 to enroll or waive
- Aetna Student Health
- The policy number is 846570.
- Aetna’s website is www.aetnastudenthealth.com.
- By choosing “Find a Doctor” aka “DocFind” you can research the providers that accept Aetna’s plan.
- Claim/Customer Service telephone numbers are : 1-855-821-9713 or toll free at 1-877-480-4161.
- For specific information on the plan, you can visit Aetna Navigator at https://www.aetna.com/member.
- Use your social security number and zip code to access the site.
- Open Enrollment
- For existing students: June 1-June 30 is Open Enrollment which will allow you to update your medical/prescription, vision, and dental coverage.
- Students who are not currently covered on Mount Sinai’s insurance plan, but wish to be covered for the next year, may enroll.
- Students who are currently covered under our plan, but wish to make adjustments to their plan, can do so during this Open Enrollment window by contacting Leonara Dasu at 212-241-5245 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The effective date of the change will be July 1. Once June 30 passes, you will no longer be able to opt-in nor alter your coverage for the rest of the year unless you experience a Qualifying Event (i.e. marriage, birth of a child, dropped from parent’s coverage).