The IME is an inclusive organization with three tiers of membership.
Types of Faculty Membership
Open to all clinical fellows, post-doctoral trainees, and faculty in good standing within the Mount Sinai Health System or its affiliates whose professional identity includes a significant role as a medical/health sciences educator. We encourage MD, MPH, and PhD faculty to apply.
Benefits of Associate Membership
- Participation in an educational community whose members inform and support one another
- Receive additional training in teaching skills, curriculum development, education research, etc.
- Receive additional training in portfolio and career development on the educator track
- Indicate membership on one's curriculum vitae
- Participate in community wide educational events
Advanced Membership (Fellow and Master Educator)
An applicant must be a faculty member in good standing for at least one year at the Mount Sinai Health System including the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, and our affiliate institutions. We welcome MD, MPH, and PhD faculty to apply.
We have two advanced levels of membership for those who have demonstrated excellence and have made significant contributions to medical education:
The IME Fellow level is awarded to those faculty who have demonstrated a significant commitment to teaching/education and have shown evidence of scholarly work in medical education.
Master Educator membership is the highest level that can be achieved as a faculty educator at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. This designation confers a distinct honor to those faculty who have demonstrated exceptional performance in the field of medical education and requires demonstration of educational scholarship. They have generally attained career honors or success in several areas of medical education and may already serve in key educational roles within our institution. Master Educators will also serve as mentors to IME Fellows and other educators.
Recognition at both of these levels (Fellow and Master Educator) brings with it the responsibility to actively contribute to the teaching community. The application is an educator portfolio that helps showcase the quality of faculty’s work. All faculty apply for Fellow membership and a selection committee determines who qualifies for Master Educator membership.
Additional Benefits for IME Fellow and Master Educator Members
- Participation in a community of educators - exchange ideas, forum to present your work, networking, intellectual stimulation, opportunity to catalyze institutional change
- Significant involvement in Institute programs - As a leader, developer, instructor and/or learner depending upon your interests
- Provides a significant level of credibility to your educational contributions because selection requires internal and external peer review
- The portfolio used by the IME provides supporting documentation to the Appointments and Promotion (A&P) Committee for promotion on the Clinician and/or Educator track at ISMMS
- Second letter of support to A&P from the IME
- Participate in annual IME events
- The opportunity to apply for a secondary appointment in the Department of Medical Education
Terms of Membership
Associate membership has no expiration as long as the faculty member remains in good standing and continues to teach in the MSSM community.
A Fellow or Master Educator member will have a term limit of three years at which time he/she will resubmit an update to the original application.
Residents, Fellows, and PhD Post-Doctoral Trainees
Residents, fellows and post-doctoral trainees may apply for associate membership if they meet the outlined criteria (see application above).
We thank you for your dedication to teaching and hope that you will become a member of the Institute for Medical Education. We look forward to working with you to further strengthen our educational mission and our teaching community.