About The Tisch Cancer Institute
The Tisch Cancer Institute was established at Mount Sinai Medical Center in December 2007 with the appointment of Steven J. Burakoff, MD as Director. In 2008, a generous gift from Trustee James S. Tisch and his wife, Merryl H. Tisch, created a significant endowment, enabling the naming of the Institute and a vision to create a world class cancer center.
Since its establishment, The Tisch Cancer Institute has:
- Recruited more than 30 acclaimed physicians and researchers specializing in basic research, clinical research, and population science
- Built outstanding programs in solid tumor oncology
- Enhanced existing robust programs in hematological malignancies
- Advanced the study of cancer immunology and vaccine therapy
- Created a presence in molecular cancer epidemiology
The completion of the Leon and Norma Hess Center for Science and Medicine in 2012 is enabling the recruitment of up to 20 additional cancer researchers on two full research floors, with 48,000 square feet of space dedicated to cancer research. Our outpatient facility, the Derald H. Ruttenberg Treatment Center, has relocated to the Hess building as of October 2012 and now includes 48 examination rooms and 54 infusion suites. The new Ruttenberg Treatment Center augments the Dubin Breast Center, which opened in 2011 and provides a 15,000-square-foot facility for state-of-the-art breast cancer care.
The Tisch Cancer Institute will continue to:
- Develop robust cancer research programs in basic science, disease-focused research, and population science
- Strengthen leading genomics and molecular pathology programs
- Develop infrastructure for a top-notch cancer clinical trials program
- Support collaborative efforts
Our goal is to build a world class translational cancer institute.
The Tisch Cancer Institute
One Gustave L. Levy Place, Box 1128
Icahn Building, 1st Floor
New York, NY 10029-6574
Read the June 2012 special issue of Inside Mount Sinai featuring The Tisch Cancer Institute.