Translational Research and Education
- Technology validation: Our laboratory has partnered with several biotechnology companies to bring the latest technology to the clinical laboratory, such as next-generation sequencing and Affymetrix microarrays.
- Clinical trials: Our laboratory collaborates with clinical leaders to implement the latest diagnostic tests and therapies, such as HPV genotyping for head and neck cancer and BRAF V600E genotyping for melanoma treatment.
- Technology Innovation: Several nucleic acid amplification methods (RCA and RAM) have been invented in our laboratory and are licensed to a biotechnology company. Recently, our lab developed a novel proteomic technology, termed Protein Pathway Array. Based on this technology, several National Institute of Health (NIH) and Department of Defense (DoD) grants were awarded in collaboration with other researchers (1U01CA149556-01A1).
The Molecular Pathology Laboratory emphasizes the importance of educating clinicians and training future pathologists and geneticists. Our educational activities include:
- Offering an ACGME-approved Molecular Genetic Pathology Fellowship training program
- Providing Molecular Genetic Pathology training for pathology residents at Mount Sinai and other institutions
- Publishing extensively in the field of Molecular Genetic Pathology