Center of Excellence on Mood, Motivation & Addiction
Mood and addiction disorders are common mental illnesses that take an enormous toll on health and productivity in our society.
The Center of Excellence on Mood, Motivation, & Addiction at Icahn Icahn School of Medicine joins basic and clinical faculty members with expertise in diverse disciplines in order to accelerate the pace of translational neuroscience research to elucidate the neuropathophysiology of mood disorders (e.g., depression, anxiety disorders, bipolar disorder) and addiction disorders and to generate improved diagnostic tests and treatments.
Our overall goal is to understand, prevent, and treat disorders of mood and addiction. The primary mission of the center is to conduct cutting-edge translational research that will improve health through providing advanced insights into neurobiological mechanisms of mood and anxiety disorders, including major depression, bipolar disorder, and post-traumatic stress, as well as drug and behavioral addictions. Such knowledge will advance the development of novel treatment interventions for patients with these disorders.
Specific goals are to:
- Develop innovative research programs and foster novel collaborations that bring together investigators from complementary fields
- Stimulate the rapid translation of basic knowledge into therapies for diseases and injuries of the nervous system
- Recruit outstanding faculty, postdoctoral fellows, and students
- Strengthen existing educational programs by fostering the integration of insights from basic neuroscience, cell and molecular biology, cognitive science, and clinical neuroscience
- Extend educational outreach programs about the brain into the community
In order to achieve these goals, the Center of Excellence on Mood, Motivation, & Addiction will help provide infrastructure for the coordination and integration of scientific and clinical activities in these areas.
Yasmin Hurd, PhD is the Chief for the Center of Excellence on Mood, Motivation & Addiction, Professor of Psychiatry, Pharmacology and Systems Therapeutics and Neuroscience.
Paul Slesinger, PhD is the Chief for the Center of Excellence on Mood, Motivation & Addiction and Professor of Neuroscience.