The global relationship between therapeutic drugs and human genome is largely unexplored. Systems pharmacology is focused on understanding drug action both therapeutic and adverse from a network perspective with the goal of anchoring all drug action in the human interactome. Such a holistic approach will be useful both for drug discovery, especially polypharmacology for complex diseases and prediction of adverse events. One long-term goal is to be able to develop algorithms that predict therapeutic efficacy and adverse event probability in individual patients. Members of SBCNY are actively working in the area of systems pharmacology and have made some of the earliest contributions to this emerging field.
Systems pharmacology papers published by SBCNY researchers
- Ma'ayan A, Jenkins SL, Goldfarb J, Iyengar R. Network analysis of FDA approved drugs and their targets. Mount Sinai J Med. 2007 Apr;74(1):27-32.
- Wist AD, Berger SI, Iyengar R. Systems pharmacology and genome medicine: a future perspective. Genome Med. 2009 Jan 22;1(1):11.
- Berger SI, Iyengar R. Network analyses in systems pharmacology. Bioinformatics. 2009 Oct 1;25(19):2466-72.
- Berger SI, Ma'ayan A, Iyengar R. Systems pharmacology of arrhythmias. Sci Signal. 2010 Apr 20;3(118):ra30. [Podcast]
- Boran AD, Iyengar R. Systems approaches to polypharmacology and drug discovery. Curr Opin Drug Discov Devel. 2010 May;13(3):297-309.
- Boran AD, Iyengar R. Systems pharmacology. Mount Sinai J Med. 2010 Jul-Aug;77(4):333-44.
- Berger SI, Iyengar R. Role of systems pharmacology in understanding drug adverse events. Wiley Interdiscip Rev Syst Biol Med. 2011 Mar-Apr;3(2):129-35.
- Zhao S, Iyengar R. Systems pharmacology: network analysis to identify multiscale mechanisms of drug action. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol. 2012 Feb 10;52:505-21.
- Iyengar R, Zhao S, Chung SW, Mager DE, Gallo JM. Merging systems biology with pharmacodynamics. Sci Transl Med. 2012 Mar 21;4(126):126ps7.
- Hansen J, Iyengar R. Computation as the mechanistic bridge between precision medicine and systems therapeutics. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2013 Jan;93(1):117-28.
- Duan Q, Kou Y, Clark NR, Gordonov S, Ma'ayan A. Metasignatures identify two major subtypes of breast cancer. CPT Pharmacometrics Syst Pharmacol 2013 Mar 27;2:e35.
- Zhao S, Nishimura T, Chen Y, Azeloglu EU, Gottesman O, Giannarelli C, Zafar MU, Benard L, Badimon JJ, Hajjar RJ, Goldfarb J, Iyengar R. Systems pharmacology of adverse event mitigation by drug combinations. Sci Transl Med. 2013 Oct 9;5(206):206ra140.
- Iyengar R. Complex diseases require complex therapies. EMBO Rep. 2013 Nov 29;14(12):1039-42.