Email Usage Policy
HR Policy # 13.5
E-mail is provided to assist and facilitate Medical Center communications. It is provided for official business use in the course of assigned duties. All messages are Medical Center records. The Medical Center reserves the right to access and disclose all messages sent over its electronic mail system.
In the course of their duties, systems operators and managers may monitor use of the E-Mail system or review the contents of stored E-Mail records. Inappropriate use may result in loss of access privileges and disciplinary action up to and including dismissal. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Unauthorized attempts to access another's E-Mail account
- Transmission of sensitive or proprietary information to unauthorized persons or organizations
- Transmission of obscene or harassing messages to any other individual
- Transmission of offensive material, solicitations or proselytization for commercial ventures, religious or political causes or other non-job related solicitations
- Any illegal or unethical activity or any activity which could adversely affect the Medical Center
The Mount Sinai Health System reserves the right to disclose any electronic mail messages to law enforcement officials without prior notice to any employees who may have sent or received such messages.
Access to the Internet is provided as a communications tool and information resource to facilitate the performance of job related functions. This policy applies to any Internet service accessed on or from a Medical Center facility, provided by the Medical Center, accessed using Medical Center computer equipment or used in a manner that identifies the individual with the Medical Center.
Inappropriate use of the Internet may result in loss of access privileges and disciplinary action up to and including dismissal. Employees are prohibited from using Medical Center provider Internet services in connection with any of the following activities:
- Engaging in illegal, fraudulent or malicious conduct
- Working on behalf of organizations without any professional-or business affiliation with the Medical Center
- Sending, receiving, or storing offensive, obscene, or defamatory materials
- Obtaining unauthorized access to any computer system
- Using another individual's account or identity without explicit written authorization
- Attempting to test circumvent or defeat security or crediting systems of the Medical Center or any other organization without prior authorization from Information Management Systems and Services/Security and Corporate Data Administration (IMSS/SACDA)
- Any use or activity that impedes Medical Center operations
The Medical Center reserves the right to review any information, files, or communications sent, stored, or received on its computer systems.
If you have any questions or problems, please contact the Academic It Support Center.