Welcome to the Department of Population Health Science and Policy at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. Our mission is to improve population health and the effectiveness, efficiency, and equity of health care by developing, analyzing, and disseminating evidence to guide clinical decision making and policy.
To realize this mission requires the collaborative efforts of a broadly interdisciplinary faculty and the creation of investigative teams that focus on specific aspects of this research agenda. Integral to the Department are several divisions and three centers that serve the entire Mount Sinai Health System; they include the International Center for Health Outcomes and Innovation Research (InCHOIR), a clinical research coordinating center; the Center for Biostatistics; and the Center for Health Equity and Community Research.
The Department’s faculty also created and continues to direct the Institute for Health Care Delivery Science (IHCDS) and took on the leadership and transformation of the Institute for Translational Epidemiology (ITE). The mission of IHCDS is to develop, analyze, and disseminate evidence that can guide clinical decision-making toward improvements in the quality, safety, outcomes, and efficiency of care delivered in the Mount Sinai Health System. The mission of ITE is to develop and facilitate collaborative translational and interdisciplinary research integrating population studies, genomic and molecular research with the goal of spearheading improvements in clinical practice, disease management, patient outcomes, and quality of life.
Our central measure of success is the expansion of our portfolio of internationally recognized research that shapes important public and private policies, affects treatment paradigms, reduces disparities in health care, and develops new analytical approaches and methodological breakthroughs. Additional criteria of success include the following:
- Adoption of evidence-based practices by the Mount Sinai Health System
- Emulation by others of our research model
- Training and educating future generations of researchers and policy analysts
- Enhancing the School's collaborative research and its international standing
- Enhancing the lives and productivity of Mount Sinai faculty and staff through a stimulating and rewarding work environment
We maintain many areas of focus:
- Clinical Trials and Observational Studies
- Decision Analysis
- Health Care Disparities and Social Epidemiology
- Health Economics
- Health Policy
- Health Care Quality
- Patient Safety
- Pediatric Quality Measures
- Research Information Systems