Max W Sung, MD
- ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR | Medicine, Hematology and Medical Oncology
- ASSISTANT PROFESSOR | Oncological Sciences
Specialties:Hematology-Oncology, Cancer (Oncology)
In the News
Dr. Sung discusses pancreatic cancer in The Daily News feature The Daily Check Up.
View the PDF.
American Board of Internal Medicine
- Colorectal Cancer
- Liver Cancer
MD, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Internship, Internal Medicine, Montefiore Medical Center
Residency, Internal Medicine, Montefiore Medical Center
Fellowship, Hematology, Montefiore Medical Center
Fellowship, Neoplastic Diseases, Mount Sinai Hospital
Dr. Sung is currently conducting clinical trials of immunotherapy in patients with advanced colorectal and breast cancers using gene transfer therapy. He is also involved in clinical trials of suicide gene therapy and differentiation therapies for colorectal cancer, and anti-angiogenesis therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma.
Dr. Sung actively participates in multi-modality treatment approaches (surgery/radiation/chemotherapy) to cancers of the liver, colon-rectum, carcinoid, pancreas, esophagus, stomach and anal cancers, and is also experienced in regional treatment modalities such as hepatic arterial chemotherapy/chemoembolization and intraperitoneal chemotherapy.
- A Phase 1 Study to Assess the Safety, Tolerability, Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacodynamics, and Preliminary Efficacy of BLU-554 in Patients with Hepatocellular Carcinoma and Cholangiocarcinoma
The purpose of this study is to obtain information on the safety and tolerability of an experimental drug called BLU-554 when it is given to patients with Hepatocellular Carcinoma (HCC) and Cholangiocarcinoma. Experimental means that it is not yet known if this drug help...
- A Phase 2B, randomized, Controlled, Multicenter, Open-Label Study of the Efficacy and Immune Response of GVAX Pancreas Vaccine (with Cyclophosphamide) and CRS-207 Compared to Chemotherapy or to CRS-207 Alone in Adults with Previously-Treated Metastatic Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma
A vaccine is something that is given to boost a person's immune system to fight or protect against disease. The purpose of this study is to test whether GVAX pancreas vaccine and CRS-207, a weakened form of Listeria bacteria that has been modified to reduce the likelihoo...
- A Randomized, Multi-center Phase III Study of Nivolumab versus Sorafenib as First-Line Treatment in Patients with Advanced Hepatocellular Carcinoma
The purpose of this study is to test the effectiveness (how well the drug works), safety, and rolerability of an investigational drug called nivolumab (also known as BMS-936558). In this study, nivolumab will be tested in participants with advanced liver cancer who have ...
- A Multicenter, randomized, Open-Label, Phase 3 Trial to Compare the Efficacy and Safety of Levantinib (E7080) versus Sorafenib in First Line Treatment of Subjects with Unresectable Hepatocellular Carcinoma
Lenvatinib (E7080) is a drug that is being developed for the treatment of ...
Sung MW, Yeh HC, Thung SN, Schwartz ME, Mandeli JP, Chen SH, Woo SL C. Intratumoral Adenovirus-Mediated Suicide Gene Therapy for Hepatic Metastases from Colorectal Adenocarcinoma: Results of a Phase I Clinical Trial. Mol Ther 2001; 4: 182.
Sung MW, Chen SH, Thung SN, Zhang DY, Huang TG, Mandeli JP, Woo SL C. Intratumoral Delivery of Adenovirus-Mediated Interleukin-12 Gene in Mice Bearing Metastatic Cancer in the Liver. Hum Gene Ther 2002; 13: 731.
Sung MW, Chen SH, Woo SL C. New Approaches to Gene Therapy for Cancer. In: DeVita VT, Hellman S, Rosenberg SA, editors. Progress in Oncology 2002. Sudbury, Massachusetts, Jones & Bartlett; 2002. pp36-53.