The overall goal of the one-year Breast Surgery Fellowship at Mount Sinai Beth Israel and Mount Sinai West is to provide specialized training in multidisciplinary treatment of both benign and malignant breast diseases. To this end, our fellows rotate through the various disciplines involved in the diagnosis and management of breast disease. You work with our eight dedicated breast surgeons, who treat more than 1,100 breast cancers each year.
We offer unparalleled exposure to a broad spectrum of minimally invasive procedures and techniques. In fact, the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai was one of the first medical schools in the country to recognize laparoscopy as a distinct specialty within general surgery. We have been offering this fellowship for more than a decade, and we accept two fellows each year.
During the year-long fellowship, you work with several breast surgery teams and gain experience with medical oncology, radiation oncology, pathology, cytology, radiology, plastic surgery, psycho-oncology, and genetics. Fellows also gain administrative knowledge of the fundamentals involved in operating a breast surgery practice and the importance of collaborating with various disciplines. You receive vast experience in office-based ultrasound-guided biopsies and intraoperative needle placement. There is also ample opportunity to participate in community outreach programs.
Conferences include a weekly multidisciplinary breast conference, research conference, morbidity and mortality, journal club, and Grand Rounds. You take part in the conferences through case and topic presentations, and we strongly encourage you to participate in clinical research projects. Early in the year, we discuss research interests with you and help you design projects accordingly.
Our fellows perform two rotations, spending six months at Mount Sinai St. Luke’s and Mount Sinai West and six months at Mount Sinai Beth Israel.
How to Apply
We accept applicants through the Society of Surgical Oncology Online Match System.
Unless otherwise noted, please add all attachments as pdfs. Complete applications include:
- $300 application fee, payable by credit card only (Visa/MC/AMEX)
- Curriculum vitae
- Personal statement
- Education information (pre-medical education, medical school education, residencies/fellowships)
- Three to five letters of recommendation; please provide the email address of the letter writer
- Test scores (as applicable)
- American Board of Surgery In-Training Examination
- Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination
- United States Medical Licensing Examination
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates Certificate
- Certification and licensure information
- Professional liability claims and discipline
- Health status
The Breast Surgery Fellowship at Mount Sinai Beth Israel and Mount Sinai West offers a competitive salary.