Obtaining funding is critical to conducting state-of-the-art research. We provide a variety of resources to help you get detailed information about funding opportunities within and outside of the Mount Sinai research community.
GCO Funding Opportunities
The Grants and Contracts Office (GCO) hosts this web resource which consolidates information on prospective sponsors, request for proposals, contracts, and other funding information.
SPIN Search Engine
InfoEd’s SPIN search engine allows you to navigate the wide range of funding opportunities available through federal, city, and state agencies; foreign governments; industry; foundations; and nonprofit institutions.
CoSA - Committee on Special Awards
The Committee on Special Awards sends out announcements of special funding opportunities throughout the year. Sign up for the Research Resources Listserv to find out more about special awards opportunities.
Internal Pilot Awards
Our Departments and Institutes periodically announce internal funding opportunities. Make sure that you are signed up for the Research Resources Listserv. Enter your email under "Research Listserv" on the Research Portal's Getting Started page and select "Funding Opportunities" in the Grant Submission & Management section.
If you are an investigator with a current National Institutes of Health (NIH) grant, NIH Diversity Supplements can help you achieve a diverse laboratory workforce, as you identify qualified candidates to fill crucial roles.
MSI STEM Research & Development Consortium (MSRDC)
The MSRDC provides a unique funding mechanism for organizations and institutions to work with Minority-Serving Institutions (MSI), such as Historically Black Colleges & Universities (HBCUs), etc., on government projects. These entities, along with the sponsoring government agencies, form a non-traditional collaborative partnership. This mechanism creates the opportunity for rapid procurement of funds (i.e., 90-120 days), as the partners work together to produce a Scope of Work (SOW) and a Request for Proposal (RFP).
Some of the Government Research Partners includes:
- Department of Defense (DoD)
- Department of Education (DoE)
- Homeland Security
- Communications-Electronics Research Development Center (CERDEC)
- Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA)
- Army Material Systems Analysts Activity (AMSAA)
- Department of Transportation
Researchers can conduct direct appeals through crowdfunding internet sites by presenting an idea and how much funding you will need to accomplish the project. We offer resources to assist Mount Sinai faculty and staff interested in tapping this funding method.
Private Independent Foundations and Corporations
The Department of Corporate and Foundation Relations, part of the Development Office of the Mount Sinai Health System, establishes and stewards institutional relationships with private independent foundations and corporations. Within the framework of the Mount Sinai strategic plan, we work with you to develop philanthropic support from these donors. We assist you with:
- Editing and composing letters of inquiry and proposals
- Assembling necessary supporting materials
- Interacting with foundations and corporate prospects
- Arranging for appropriate institutional signatures on proposals and gift agreements
- Compiling required narrative and financial reports
- Arranging for site visits and meetings with corporate and foundation donors
National Institute of Health Deadlines
Unless otherwise specified in a Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA), the NIH has three standard due dates cycles per year for competitive applications.
- R01 (new): Feb 5, Jun 5, Oct 5
- R01 (renewals/resubmissions/revisions): Mar 5, Jul 5, Nov 5
- R03/R21/R33/R34 (new): Feb 16, Jun 16, Oct 16
- R03/R21/R33/R34 (renewals/resubmissions/revisions): Mar 16, Jul 16, Nov 16
- K series (new): Feb 12, Jun 12, Oct 12
- K series (renewals/resubmissions/revisions): Mar 12, Jul 12, Nov 12
Learn about NIH’s standard due dates for competing applications and NIH Submission Policies including deadlines that fall on holiday and weekends and FOAs with special receipt dates.