The Council’s mission is to promote diversity in faculty recruitment, retention, development, and inclusion. We focus on increasing the representation and advancement of groups underrepresented in medicine and research at all levels, from medical and graduate students and trainees through faculty in all departments, institutes, and administration.
Council members include senior-level faculty representatives and serve several functions:
- Act as departmental or institute liaisons to the Council.
- Assist in developing, implementing, and monitoring departmental and institute diversity metrics.
- Develop specific departmental action plans under the guidance of department chairs.
- Work with the Center for Multicultural and Community Affairs, the Office of Women’s Careers, the Diversity in Biomedical Research Council, and the Office of Academic Enhancement and Mentoring.
- Share best practices for enhancing faculty diversity, retention, development, and advancement.
The Faculty Diversity Council is co-chaired by two senior faculty, with backgrounds as members of minority groups underrepresented in medicine, Committee Chairs representing three areas.