We offer a one- or two-year fellowship in cerebrovascular disease. The first year of training is an Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education-approved vascular neurology program. Fellows develop expertise in the management of acute cerebrovascular disease while assisting in directing the care of patients on the stroke service, including those patients in the eight-bed Gustave L. Levy Acute Stroke Unit and the Neuroscience Intensive Care Unit. In addition, fellows obtain training in transcranial and carotid Dopplers and spend time in neuroradiology.
Fellows lead a weekly stroke clinic under the direction of Dr. Horowitz and spend two or three months each year as the stroke fellow at Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai St. Luke's, or Mount Sinai West in the stroke division. Mount Sinai is a New York State Department of Health-designated and Joint Commission-certified stroke center. Fellows also attend a weekly vascular neurology conference in conjunction with the Departments of Neurosurgery and Neuroradiology.
Fellows participate in ongoing federally funded neuroepidemiologic and clinical research, including acute interventional trials. Fellows have the opportunity to conduct research in the department's noninvasive vascular laboratory and elsewhere. During the optional second year of the program, fellows can focus more heavily on research activities. Fellows may obtain additional research experience in the StrokeNet Research Training Program, which includes regular educational webinars, mentorship from national leaders in stroke research, and focused local research projects with local mentorship and assistance.
To be considered, you should have completed an approved neurology residency or equivalent and be eligible for licensure in the State of New York.
To apply, click on this link for the application form and submit a copy of your curriculum vitae, three letters of recommendation, and a personal statement to the Program Director and the Program Coordinator. The fellowship begins on July 1 and we recommend you submit your application before January 1 of the year prior to starting. We conduct interviews with selected candidates soon after we receive the applications.
Fellows in ACGME-Approved Program
- Vaibhav Goswami, MD
- Kamil Stefanowski, MD
- Mahalet Gizaw, MD
- Ali Khalfan Ali Balushi, MD 2018-2019: Westchester Medical Center, Westchester, NY
- Christeena Kurian, MD 2018-2019: Interventional Neuroradiology Fellowship, Weill Cornell, New York, NY
- Davida Goltz MD 2018-2019: TBD
- Laura Stein, MD 2017-2018: Vascular Neurologist, Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
- Gurmeen Kaur, MD 2017-2018: Endovascular Neurosurgical Radiology Fellowship, Westchester Medical Center, NY
- Ivan Matos Diaz, MD 2016-2017: Hennepin County Medical Center; Minneapolis, MN
- Clara Boyd, MD 2016-2017: Interventional Neuro Associates; New York, NY
- Saravana Devulapalli, M.D. 2014-2015-present: Consultant Neurologist, Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences, Secunderabad, Telangana
- John Liang, MD 2015-2016: Neurocritical and Stroke Attending, Mount Sinai Health System
- David Hahn, MD 2014-2015: Stamford Health Medical Group
- Punam Dass, M.D. 2013-2014: Vascular Neurologist, Department of Neurology, Mount Sinai St Luke's/Roosevelt and Assistant Professor, ISMMS, New York, NY
- Douglas Mayson, M.D. 2013-2014: Vascular Neurologist, Department of Neurology, Medstar Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
- Jonathan Guterman, M.D. 2012- 2013; Vascular Neurologist UMDNJ, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, and the RWJ University Hospital, New Brunswick, New Jersey
- Jeremy Liff, M.D. 2011–2012; Vascular Neurologist and Assistant Professor, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY
- Karthikeyan Arcot, M.D. 2011–2012; Vascular Neurologist and Neuro-Interventionalist, Lutheran Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY
- Aviva Lubin, MD 2010-2011 Director, Stroke Center, Lenox Hill Hospital, New York, New York
- Frank Kim, MD 2010-2011 Stroke Attending, Eden Medical Center, Castro Valley, California
- Sarah Cherian, MD 2009-2010, Stroke Attending, Winthrop-University Hospital, Mineola, New York
- Qingliang Wang, MD, PhD 2009-2010 Stroke Attending, Reading Hospital and Medical Center, West Reading, PA
- Victor Zach, MD 2008-2010 Neurocritical care fellow, Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, New York 2010-2011 Director of Stroke and Neurocritical Care, John C. Lincoln North Mountain Hospital, Phoenix, Arizona
- Kathryn Kirchoff, MD 2008-2010 Stroke Attending and Assistant Professor of Neurology, Albert Einstein School of Medicine, Bronx, New York
- Colum Amory, MD 2007-2009, Stroke Attending and Assistant Professor of Neurology, Albany Medical College, Albany, New York
- Damon Patterson, MD 2007-2008 Assistant Professor and Director of Endovascular Neurology, UAB Comprehensive Stroke Center, Birmingham, Alabama
- Lorenzo Blas, MD 2006-2008 Stroke Program, Hermann Hospital, Houston, Texas
- Ramadeep Sahni, MD 2005-2007 Stroke Program, Westchester Medical Center, New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York
- Kathleen M. Burger, MD 2003-2005 Director, Stroke Center, George Washington University School of Medicine, Washington, DC
Our faculty members are the backbone of our program, teaching, caring for patients, and conducting research. They include: