At Mount Sinai West, we offer a 12-month ACGME-accredited Obstetric Anesthesiology Fellowship program that begins on July 1 or August 1. Fellows are expected to gain experience in advanced clinical care, including the care of healthy and high-risk parturients and pregnant women undergoing non-obstetric surgery. We have a very busy obstetric service with over 6,000 deliveries per year with an epidural rate of 80-85%.
Seven dedicated obstetric anesthesiologists are the primary educators in the fellowship program. In addition, faculty members in the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology’s divisions of Maternal-Fetal Medicine and Neonatology are integral to the fellows’ education experience. All of our educators are dedicated to providing a well-rounded educational experience for anesthesiologists interested in a career in obstetric anesthesiology.
Along with the clinical responsibilities, we expect our fellows to commit academic time to pursue research projects and prepare lectures. You are expected to participate in continuing research and to design and submit a research project for Institutional Review Board approval. We expect these research activities to lead to presentations at regional and national conferences. You will also give lectures to residents on their OB anesthesia rotation, present at journal club, and participate in departmental morbidity and mortality conference.
How to Apply
Our obstetric anesthesia fellowship takes place over 12 months. We select one candidate each year. You must be board eligible to apply.
For application information, contact Fellowship Coordinator, Olivia Kenwell at 212-523-8442 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We offer housing for our obstetric anesthesia fellow adjacent to the hospital in the heart of Manhattan near Lincoln Center and Central Park.
- Thomas R. Gruffi, MD – Fellowship Program Director
- Ghislaine Echevarria, MD, MS – Director of Obstetric Anesthesia
- Deborah Stein, MD – Director of Obstetric Anesthesia and Fellowship Director Emeritus
- Bryan Mahoney, MD – Residency Program Director and Vice Chair of Education
- Julio Marenco, MD
- Dimitrios Kassapidis, DO
- Michael Balot, DO - Faculty
- William Pinkston, DO
Anesthesiology Residency: Medical College of Wisconsin
- Michael Balot, DO – Faculty at Mount Sinai West
- Mikhail Khouzami MD – Faculty at the University of Buffalo
- Nwadiogo Ejiogu MD, MA – Faculty at the University of Pennsylvania
- Dung Tien Pham, MD – Director of Obstetric Anesthesia at Loyola University Medical Center
- Jason White, MD – Director of Obstetric Anesthesia at New York Downtown Hospital
Recent Publications from the Division:
- Revollo SO, Echevarria GC, Fullerton D, Ramirez I, Farias J, Lagos R, Lacassie HJ. Intraoperative Fascial Plane Blocks Facilitate Earlier Tracheal Extubation and Intensive Care Unit Discharge After Cardiac Surgery: A Retrospective Cohort Analysis. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2022 Nov 26:S1053-0770(22)00844-8. doi: 10.1053/j.jvca.2022.11.021. PMID: 36566128
- Shekane P, Echevarria G, Irizarry G, Dumbroff J, Rosenblatt MA, Patel A. A Cross-sectional Study of the Social Media Presence of ACGME-Accredited Pain Medicine Fellowship Programs: Time to Get Online? Pain Physician. 2022 Oct; 25(7):E1021-E1025. PMID: 36288587.
- Stahl D, Fragneto R, Mahoney B, Kacmar R. Levels of Maternal Care: Anesthesiologist Role in Reducing Maternal Mortality. ASA Monitor. 2022 Jul;86(7):34-5.
- Paniagua O, Newman J, Orlando B, Mahoney B. Evaluation of the safety of the epidural needle loading technique for initiation of labor analgesia. International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia. 2022 May 1; 50.
- Mahoney B, Luebbert E. Updates on Simulation in Obstetrical Anesthesiology Through the COVID-19 Pandemic. Anesthesiology clinics. 2021 Dec 1; 39(4):649-65.
- Grant GJ, Echevarria GC, Agoliati AP, Lax J, Cohen S. Safety of epidural gravity flow technique: response. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2021 Sep; 46(9):834. doi: 10.1136/rapm-2020-102250. Epub 2020 Nov 24. PMID: 33234580.
- Cowart C, Orlando B, Stein D, Mahoney B. Subdural catheter placement resulting in inadequate blocks: Two case reports. J Clin Anesth. 2021 Mar 7. PMID: 33691238.
- Kenwell OK, Mahoney BP, Rosenblatt MA. A Response to the Challenges of Virtual Interviews and Recruitment in the Era of COVID-19. J Grad Med Educ. 2021 Feb; 13(1):134-136. doi: 10.4300/JGME-D-20-01288.1. PMID: 33680316; PMCID: PMC7901611.
- Grant GJ, Echevarria GC, Agoliati AP, Lax J, Cohen S. Epidural gravity flow technique for labor analgesia. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2020 Feb 17: rapm-2019-101192. doi: 10.1136/rapm-2019-101192. PMID: 32071101.
- Orlando B, Donovan J, Stein D, Saloum M, Epstein J, Marenco J, Mahoney B, Kassapidis D. Does Pre-Procedure Neuraxial Ultrasound Using the GE Logiq® Improve Midline Placement of Combined Spinal Epidural when Compared to a Palpation Technique Performed by Experienced Anesthesiologists? A Prospective Randomized Study. Journal of Scientific Innovation in Medicine. 2020; 4(2): 20, pp. 1–11. DOI: https://doi.org/10.29024/jsim.87
- Gruffi TR, Peralta FM, Thakkar MS, Arif A, Anderson RF, Orlando B, Coffman JC, Nathan N, McCarthy RJ, Toledo P, Habib AS. Anesthetic management of parturients with Arnold Chiari malformation-I: a multicenter retrospective study. Int J Obstet Anesth. 2019 Feb; 37:52-56. doi: 10.1016/j.ijoa.2018.10.002. PMID: 30414718.