Visiting Students from Schools Abroad
For the 2022-2023 academic year, we are only accepting students from LCME accredited institutions who can apply through VSLO. International students or students from institutions not on VSLO will not be accepted for this academic year. We will continue to evaluate the situation and will update the website accordingly.
Qualified students currently attending International Medical Schools (non-LCME-Approved Institutions) are welcome to take electives at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (ISMMS) and within the Mount Sinai Health System. The participating hospitals are:
- The Mount Sinai Hospital
- Mount Sinai Beth Israel
- Mount Sinai Morningside
- Mount Sinai West
- New York Eye & Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai
Calendars are not posted online, as most electives run throughout the year based upon availability. You may request an elective to begin any Monday of the month. Electives run for a four-week period, Monday through Friday. Electives available for international visiting students can be found here.
NOTE: International Students must choose "Spring [YEAR]" in the Term Box. (This will include all electives for the entire year.)
International students who do not meet the following prerequisite requirements will be withdrawn from the elective application process and will forfeit all fees paid:
- Must obtain a valid B-1 visa, if you are not eligible to participate in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).
- Must be fluent in the English language to ensure proper communication with patients.
- Must take the TOEFL test, achieving a minimum score of 22-30.
- Must be able to use medical terminology, and report in attending rounds in oral presentations and record in writing patient information.
- Positive titer serology for Measles, Rubella, Hepatitis B and Tdap (a minimum of 10 years) are required.
Elective Application Instructions for International Visiting Students
All students attending international medical schools must complete the International Visiting Students Application. If you are in good standing and have not yet received your MD or DO degree, you are eligible to apply. To ensure that your application will be processed (which does not guarantee placement), please adhere to the instructions that are provided in the International Visiting Students Guide.
Please submit your complete application package, approximately eight to nine months in advance of the requested elective start date.
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
One Gustave L. Levy Place, Box 1257
New York, NY 10029
If you have any questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested in observerships or research opportunities, you must contact the department you're interested in directly. These opportunities and any other non-credit experiences are not handled by the Office of the Registrar.
Upon Acceptance into the Elective Program
We notify students of acceptance at 10-12 weeks prior to the start of the elective. Once you have been accepted into the elective program at ISMMS, you must take the following steps:
- Apply to the New York State Department of Education for an Eligibility Letter
- Submit a complete Medical Elective Student Application along with the documents listed below.
- Curriculum Vitae*
- Copy of biographic page of passport (passport must be valid beyond six months)*
- Proof of financial support or affidavit of financial support*
- Proof of medical insurance*
- Letter of good standing from your home institution confirming you are in your third or fourth year (second-to-last year or final year) of medical school*
*These documents must also be included with your acceptance letter.
Housing at the Icahn School of Medicine is extremely limited. For housing opportunities, please contact the Housing Manager, Cynthia Morales via email (email@example.com) or phone (212-659-9627).