For the 2021-2022 Academic Year, we are not accepting visiting students from non-LCME accredited institutions outside of the United States, its territories, and Canada. We will be reevaluating the situation in March 2022 with respect to the 2022-2023 Academic Year and will update the website accordingly.
Qualified students currently attending other American (LCME-approved) or International Medical Schools are welcome to take electives at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (ISMMS) and within the Mount Sinai Health System.
The participating hospitals are:
- Mount Sinai Beth Israel Medical Center
- Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn
- Bronx V.A. Medical Center
- Elmhurst Hospital Center
- The Mount Sinai Hospital
- New York Eye & Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai
- Mount Sinai West
- Mount Sinai Morningside
Elective Application Instructions (United States, Puerto Rico, and Canada)
You are only eligible to apply if you are a student in good standing and have not yet received your MD or DO degree are eligible to apply. Please begin the application process four to six months in advance.
- Applicants who attend LCME-accredited schools in the United States and Puerto Rico must use the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS)
- Applicants who attend schools in Canada must complete the Visiting Student Application
Influenza and COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
As part of the New York State Department of Health requirements, all students, physicians, and staff must be vaccinated for seasonal influenza and also be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Visiting students will be required to provide proof of their influenza and COVID-19 vaccinations.
Infection Control Requirement
The New York State Education Department has issued an alert to all New York medical schools, mandating that every medical student taking an elective in New York State Hospitals be certified in Infection Control. For instruction on how to complete your certification, please refer to the following document.
Additional Visiting Student Forms
- Visiting Student Application
- Visiting Student Medical Status Form
- Information for Prospective Visiting Students
- Visiting Student Housing Request
- HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) Training Verification
- Infection Control Orientation
(Students must view and bring the last page of this document upon arrival)