The Affiliate Faculty Track is designed for faculty functioning at an academic affiliate of the School of Medicine or at an off-site practice of the Mount Sinai Health System who will be actively involved in the teaching, clinical, research, service or other activities of the School. The track is not intended for individuals employed and practicing full-time at Mount Sinai Health System member hospitals or at an integrated teaching program site, e.g., Elmhurst Hospital Center or Bronx Veterans' Administration Medical Center; physicians and researchers at these integrated sites will be eligible for full-time faculty titles if they are employed full time and are actively involved in educational or research endeavors.
Appointment Timeframe and Termination Provisions
Faculty in the Affiliate Faculty Track will not have a term of appointment. They may be terminated at any time upon written notification by the Department Chair. Additionally, in the event that an off-site employment contract or an affiliation contract is terminated, relevant Affiliate Faculty Track faculty appointments will automatically be terminated.
Recommendation for Appointment in Affiliate Faculty Track
All faculty appointments and promotions require endorsement by the Committee on Appointments, Promotions and Tenure and ratification by the Dean and the Trustees. For the ranks of Clinical Associate Professor, Research Associate Professor, Clinical Professor and Research Professor, an intensive documentation and review process will be undertaken.
Specific responsibilities for the appointment of faculty at academic affiliates and off-site practices are described below.
- Recommendation by both the affiliated Chief of Service and the President of the affiliated institution is required for all candidates.
- The affiliated institution is responsible for verifying the credentials of candidates applying for appointment in the School
- Following appointment, the affiliate institution will inform the School of any changes that would affect an individual's faculty status. At intervals of no greater than five years, the affiliate institution must reconfirm the credentials of all physicians in the Affiliate Faculty Track.
The President of the Mount Sinai Health Network will:
- Recommend off-site practice candidates for appointment.
- Verify the credentials of off-site practice candidates proposed for appointment in the Affiliate Faculty Track.
- Oversee the monitoring of the quality of clinical care and other activities of off-site physicians appointed to this Track.