The Office of Faculty Development (OFD) at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai aims to support all faculty as you develop through each stage of your scientific, clinical, educational, and administrative career. We are committed to helping create an equitable, just, and inclusive culture that cultivates the well-being and professional fulfillment of all faculty as we build and enhance our partnerships and programs.
The OFD believes that all faculty can reach their full potential and experience professional fulfillment, well-being, and success with high-quality enriched mentorship, leadership development training, and career advancement support.
The OFD works hand-in-hand with our partner office, the Office of Well-Being and Resilience, to understand the needs of faculty and promote programs and resources that enhance their well-being and professional fulfillment. We also work closely with a number of other Mount Sinai offices, most notably:
The OFD strives to:
- Promote a culture that values and encourages mentorship and enhances the quality, diversity, and inclusivity of mentorship throughout the institution.
- Increase offerings, awareness, and use of professional development resources, as well as transparency and efficiency of the appointments, promotion, and tenure process and policies to foster equity in career advancement.
- Prepare faculty from diverse backgrounds for leadership roles through offering innovative programs that develop skills for effective, collaborative, and compassionate leadership.
This webpage is designed to be comprehensive digital toolbox for faculty to easily access workshop recordings, templates, external opportunities, and other helpful resources.
Be the first to know about future events and new resources by subscribing to our email list!
To achieve our goals, OFD applies the following strategies:
- Provide faculty with career advancement, leadership development, and mentor training workshops, skills training, networking events, and discussion groups.
- Offer practical resources, guides, and FAQ documents in our three focus areas: career advancement, mentorship enrichment, and leadership development.
- Supply information about funding opportunities and internal and external training programs.
- Consider and incorporate principles and actions related to equity, diversity, inclusion, and justice in all of our programs.
- Adapt our educational content for each audience and carefully consider the specific needs of all faculty.
- Welcome new faculty and support their orientation to Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
- Work closely with Medical School leadership and partner offices to build equitable and collaborative environments for faculty.
Looking to the future, we are:
- Building an improved email network to increase awareness and use of resources.
- Developing a new platform to help faculty find and communicate with potential mentors with specific characteristics.
- Forming an advisory board of senior and junior faculty across departments and locations who are passionate about mentorship and career development.
In addition, we evaluate every initiative for success using the appropriate tools, including but not limited to surveys and focus groups.