In order to be eligible for the Master of Science in Biomedical Data Science program applicants must have an undergraduate degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics, chemistry, physics, or a related quantitative discipline. Candidates must also have prior quantitative coursework (such as calculus or linear algebra) and prior introductory computer programming coursework.
In addition to proof of these eligibility requirements, applicants must provide the following:
- Completed application
- Current curriculum vitae or resume
- Official transcripts for all programs for which a degree was earned (Academic transcripts from non-US institutions will be submitted to the World Education Service for course-by-course evaluation.)
- Two letters of recommendation from people who can directly assess the applicant's ability to succeed in advanced degree study in data science
- Personal statement clearly explaining the applicant's motivation for attaining this degree and desired outcomes from this degree program
- TOEFL score for candidates from a non-English speaking countries (This requirement may be waived by the program director after an evaluation of a candidate’s experience in English-speaking settings.)
- GRE scores may be submitted, but are not generally required for admission (see possible exception noted below).
- Application fee of $80 (waived for Fall 2020)
The program directors will review and potentially consider exceptions to these admission requirements on a case-by-case basis consistent with the policies of the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences. In addition, the Admission Committee may decide in individual cases that further evidence of preparedness in certain areas is needed, at which time they may recommend a standardized test or assessment in a relevant subject matter.
ISMMS is committed to improving diversity among our students, trainees and faculty; Individuals from historically underrepresented groups in science are particularly encouraged to apply.
Application Deadline & Decisions
We begin accepting applications in mid-August for enrollment the following year. Our priority application deadline is January 15th and final application deadline is extended to June 30 for the upcoming semester.
Once admitted, you will be directed to an online enrollment site. Please refer to your acceptance letter for the deadline to accept our offer.
Tuition and Financial Aid
The MS in Biomedical Data Sciences program requires a total of 30 credits be completed for graduation. For the 2019-20 academic year, tuition is $52,500; however, tuition costs may change annually.
Students will be sent an invoice for tuition (assuming they have registered for classes) one month before classes begin through the Student Information System. An email notification that the invoice is ready for viewing will be sent to you with the timing for payment in advance of the first day of classes.