As a PhD student, you must be matriculated full-time. Applicants should have a strong science background and evidence of those characteristics that lead to an independent and productive research career. An exposure to research is of great interest to our admissions committee.
Often otherwise highly qualified and motivated students are missing a particular undergraduate course requirement. The admissions committee takes into account all your submitted materials, considering each applicant on an individual basis. Our goal is to assess your potential to successfully complete required graduate coursework. If English is your second language, The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required.
To apply, please submit:
- A completed online application form
- Original official transcripts from post-secondary institutions attended. Each transcript should be in a sealed institutional envelope. Alternatively, the registrar(s) may send the transcript(s) directly to the Admissions Office at 1 Gustave Levy Place, Box 1002, New York, NY 10029. Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai requires international applicants to have foreign transcripts translated into English and evaluated by a certified credential evaluation service (ex. WES, ECE, FIS).
- Three letters of recommendation. We are particularly interested in hearing from individuals who have had opportunities to interact with you in a research setting. Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai uses the Online Admissions System. Your application will include a request for three contacts who would be willing to write you recommendations. Please have their email addresses available so that you may submit the information when prompted. These references will receive an email from "firstname.lastname@example.org" with information guiding them through the process.
- TOEFL scores, if applicable (School Code 2464).
- Payment of the application fee ($80) is part of the online application. You will be prompted on how to pay by credit card, check, or money order.
- Closing date for receipt of all materials is December 1.
We review applications beginning in September, and encourage early submission. Mail your transcripts, (TOEFL, if applicable), and checks/money orders.