Welcome to the PhD in Biomedical Sciences program at the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. We are happy you are considering our interdisciplinary graduate program as a choice for continuing your training in biomedical research under the supervision of our distinguished faculty. The School is known for producing the finest scholars who are committed to pushing the boundaries of basic, translational and clinical research to have real impact on human disease. Our graduates go on to diverse careers that seek the excellent biomedical research training we provide, and are devoted to improving the lives of others. Join our PhD in Biomedical Sciences program and change the world.
"One of the reasons I chose Mount Sinai for my graduate studies is the direct connection we have to the Mount Sinai hospital, in both clinical as well as medical settings. ISMMS offers so many opportunities to get in touch with PhDs from different fields, ranging from consulting to science law, to industry and biotech. This helps create a community of people that can help you explore wherever your interests lie during and after getting your PhD."
- Erica Dalla, First Year PhD in Biomedical Sciences
How to Apply
We take a holistic approach when considering PhD applications and are seeking candidates who have strong science background and significant research experience in the Life, Physical, and Engineering Sciences, including all branches of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Bioengineering, and Computer Science. Research experience may come from an academic or industry environment.
For application to our PhD in Biomedical Science program please submit the following:
- A completed online application
- Transcripts from post-secondary institution(s) attended. Copies are acceptable for the admissions process and can be uploaded to the online application. Alternatively, registrars may send official transcripts, in a sealed institutional envelope, directly to:
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
1 Gustave Levy Place, Box 1002
New York, NY 10029
*Please note that official transcripts will be required for admitted applicants that decide to enroll at ISMMS.
Payment of the application fee ($80) is part of the online application. You will be prompted on how to pay by credit card, check, or money order.
- Contact information for three individuals who will provide letters of recommendation. We are particularly interested in hearing from individuals who have had opportunities to interact with you in a research setting. Please have their email addresses available so that you may submit the information when prompted. These references will receive an email from "firstname.lastname@example.org" with information guiding them through the process.
Even if you are missing a particular undergraduate course requirement, we take into account all of your submitted materials. We consider each applicant on an individual basis.
International applicants: We encourage applications from qualified individuals, regardless of country of origin or where you received your academic and research training. We require international applicants to have foreign transcripts translated into English and evaluated by a certified credential evaluation service (ex. WES, ECE, FIS). If your school provides an official conversion of grades to the US-based 0.0-4.0 scale, please include this information.
Our goal is to assess your potential to successfully complete required graduate coursework. If English is your second language, The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required.
Application Deadlines & Decisions
Application review begins in December and all admissions materials are due by December 1. We encourage you to submit your application early. During application review, you will hear from us regarding interviews. Decisions are made within three weeks from your interview.
Application Fee Waiver Request Process
- The PhD application fee may be waived for active duty military and veterans, current full-time volunteers with recognized, non-profit service organizations (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, Teach for America, etc.) and students participating in underrepresented student educational programs at the time of applying (e.g. McNair Scholars, HEOP, etc.). Please send a fee waiver request to email@example.com once you have started (and not yet submitted) your PhD application. Please include official documentation confirming current status with dates (e.g. a letter from your McNair advisor, confirmation of military status, etc.) for review.
- The PhD application fee may be waived for applicants for whom the application fee would constitute a financial hardship. Requests are granted, in most cases, if accompanied by official documentation demonstrating financial need (e.g. a currently enrolled student should seek a letter from his/her financial aid officer). If it is not possible to provide official documentation, the applicant should submit a detailed description of his/her current financial situation. Such requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please send a fee waiver request to firstname.lastname@example.org once you have started (and not yet submitted) your PhD application.
- The PhD application fee may be waived for current ISMMS students and Mount Sinai employees. Please send a fee waiver request to email@example.com once you have started (and not yet submitted) your PhD application.