Applying scientific and technological advancements to improve physical and cognitive ability requires collaboration, creativity, and a versatile approach to research. The mission of the Abilities Research Center (ARC) is to find better treatment and cures for people with neurological impairments to help improve their quality of life. Our approach is to restore function by turning scientific knowledge from the laboratory into life-changing outcomes for patients with neurological disabilities.
At the ARC, clinical services becomeliving laboratories for researchers as real-time data collection facilitates scientific discovery in key research focus areas, including interventions for neurological disorders, bionics and technology, and performance enhancement.
Health and Rehabilitation Interventions for Neurological Disorders
We are working to advance the study of neurological disease and injuries. By pioneering novel rehabilitation therapies, we have been able to develop innovative research and clinical programs.
In addition, we are creating preventative and disease-modifying treatments to improve function and performance in daily activities in people with disabilities throughout their course of recovery. Some of these treatments include behavioral and pharmacological interventions.
We place a significant emphasis on research in order to better understand:
- Behavioral training in motor recovery
- Cell transplantation
- Mechanisms of motor dysfunction after injury
- Motor impairment and function
- Rehabilitation strategies using non-invasive brain stimulation
Bionics and Technology
We understand that improving the lives of patients who have experienced brain and spinal cord damage often involves innovative thinking. That is why we are using the very best in state-of-the-art bionics and technology to change the lives of people who are facing various degrees of paralysis for immediate use. These approaches include:
- Evaluating and refining high-tech upper and lower body robotics
- Implementing neuromodulation techniques such as powered exoskeletons for standing and walking
- Innovating mobile applications that assist the user in obtaining increased function and independence
- Pinpointing emerging technologies that, when adopted into clinical care, can have life-changing results
- Training patients to use prosthetic and orthotic devices
- Using artificial intelligence and brain-computer interfaces to help patients maintain their social skills
- Utilizing upright mobile wheelchairs to improve comfort
Performance Enhancement for All
When it comes to enhancing performance, we employ the best strategies by applying pioneering rehabilitation interventions for able-bodied and para-athletes alike.
Some key areas of investigation include:
- Developing pharmacological and electrophysiological procedures in order to maximize athletic performance
- Physical and cognitive enhancement
- Using wearables and multimodal assessments of body movement