The Institute for Medical Education (IME) at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai promotes and advances innovative medical education and scholarship, as well as recognizes and rewards our outstanding educators. Our activities have positioned the Institute as a center for teaching and learning excellence across the Mount Sinai Health System.
We serve the vital need in our institution of creating, educating, mentoring, and retaining the best educators for our students, residents, and faculty. Fostering the success of our educators includes recognizing and rewarding those who display dedication and excellence in their work and providing programs that develop and reinforce their scholarship, teaching skills, and successful promotion. In doing so, we create a network of dedicated educators who contribute their knowledge and experience to our community by serving as teachers and mentors. Here are some of our milestones:
- 2001 - The Institute for Medical Education is created, devoted entirely to the advancement of learning and teaching.
- 2003 - The Institute’s first Education Research Day is held at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
- 2009 - The Institute is named the thirteenth Institute at the Icahn School of Medicine.
- 2009 - The Institute inducts its first group of advanced members, including 14 Master Educators and 11 Fellow Educators across 14 departments.
- 2011 - The first group of students is awarded with Distinction in Medical Education (DIME).
We have a broad mission to promote scholarship and dissemination of innovative medical education approaches, acknowledge and reward our accomplished educators, create faculty development opportunities for all teaching faculty, and support career advancement of medical educators in academia. We accomplish this by:
- Recognizing and rewarding excellence in education and teaching
- Facilitating the academic promotion of educators
- Supporting skills development in teaching, learning, and medical education research
- Promoting the dissemination of innovative medical education scholarship
- Creating an educational community whose members inform and support one another
- Offering mentorship and individual consultation for educational research, statistical assistance, and career mentoring and support for promotion
The IME is the only organization at the School of Medicine entirely dedicated to supporting teaching faculty professionally and personally.